ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Line of descent
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Line of descent Reply with quote

Time for a new topic. I've wondered about this several times while reading fanfiction.

Several stories assume that if Adama died that Apollo would become Commander of the Galactica, almost as if the position was more a right of lineage. Personally, I tend to think that the next in command would be the right man for the job. More of a classic military hierarchy. Tigh, I suppose, if he was still around.

Whatcha all think? Line of descent? Or next in line?
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next officer, in terms of both rank, and experience. I would see it as Tigh. However, since at least one member of the Council apparently must be an active duty military officer, perhaps a measure of inheritance does play a part.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
Dawg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would follow along the chain of command. On Adama's retirement or passing it would pass to Tigh as the most senior officer.

Most fanfics I've read, though, have Apollo in command, Tigh having retired to become President of the Council.

Now - another thought on the subject occurs to me. It was up to the Council whether or not Adama had authority beyond his immediate command (and they gave him broad powers of command at the start). It's entirely possible that the Council (as the civilian authority) might have veto power over who commands the military (which, under these circumstances, would fall to the Galactica's Commander).

I am
Dawg
Cool

I'm at: Dawg's House
LauretteSpang.com
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigh as president of the Council? I admit, I have a hard time envisioning that. Seems too much of a military man to put up with all the bureaucracy. Mind you, perhaps he mellows in his advancing years.
epaddon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's only a question of at what point in the timeline post-Series does Adama die. If it's within a few years, then yes, Tigh would become commander. If it's a generation later, where Apollo has had 20 more years to build his skills and achieve greatness, then I think that would put him more in line to take command eventually.
LZaza

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Very sensible answer . . . but that opens another can of worms. In 20 years, do you not see anyone else coming to the forefront as a possible Commander? There are a lot of darn good lieutenants out there that could possibly surpass Apollo's potential greatness. And even another captain, sticking with canon. Apollo's a bit more sensitive than his father. I wonder if he would even want the job in 20 years time. . . (I know Richard Hatch would, but would Apollo??? Wink )
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's more a case of going by seniority in the warriors at that point in time and that if you go ahead 20 years, and factor Tigh as out of the picture, then IMO it would only come down to Apollo or possibly Boomer or Sheba (sorry but Starbuck IMO wouldn't want the job even if offered). I don't think I can envision writing a new character vaulting up through the ranks who wouldn't be around at the time of the series episodes, because that to me would mean too much of your story would then have to be about that new character and that I think for a lot of fanfic writers might seem like too much of a distraction when the reader would first want to find out what's become of the familiar characters.
LZaza

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senority, eh? Not sure I agree with that. Then again, my military background is nil, but I would think the best man for the job would end up as Commander of the Fleet if senority was merely a years experience or so. And after twenty years, characters do mature. Starbuck might even mature . . . though personally I would avoid that at any cost. Wink I also think Boomer would be a good man for the job. After all, he's the least likely to be distracted by his love life, never getting any dates for an entire season.
epaddon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seniority clearly is important in the Colonial military since that is accepted as the reason for why ultimately Adama outranked Cain. While not stated in the episode itself, the LL novelization has Cain mentioning that Adama outranks him by virtue of receiving his commission earlier. Thus, when you have two warriors of equal rank, seniority would come first (though of course if you have a warrior who outranks a more "senior" warrior, that matter of seniority would be irrelevant).
LZaza

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet clearly seniority counted for naught in reality, since Cain followed his own path anyway.
epaddon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, true but we are all after all talking about what the technical letter of Colonial military law would be on these points.

I do think though that the added complexity a new character as commander would add to a story is probably the real reason why us writers so instinctively shy away from it.
LZaza

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the fact that the Fleet has shrunk to one Battlestar and has one military commander could potentially also change in the long run. I like how Sen has introduced some other ships capable of doing battle, as well as arming Freighters, etc in the VS. Hey, they could even build smaller warships capable of defending the fleet as well as potentially scouting ahead. It could open up the field for officers on other ships which in a smaller way was portrayed on the Celestra with Cronus.

As for the technical letter of military command, since it wasn't really established conclusively in the series, we can only assume, and therefore it's really open to interpretation.

Oh, btw, I remembered that I read a great story where Starbuck ended up commanding a Battlestar with Cain's blessing. I believe that was on the Adam Stacey site. Was a while ago that I read it. However, it was very convincing and definitely had me cheering for my rogue warrior! Very Happy My only disappointment was that seemed to be one of the last in his series. Oh, I would have loved to see Starbuck and his Battlestar reunite with the Fleet! Would have been beautiful! Very Happy
epaddon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam never did get back to the matter of Starbuck and the Pegasus before he abandoned the whole second season thing he was doing. Alas, the last I heard from him he had cast his lots enthusiastically behind that other show to the point where he and I had something that wasn't quite a falling out but it was close to it. He honestly has no more regard for TOS that could ever make him resume it.
LZaza

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shame. He wrote some great stories. I'm glad he's had enough regard for the original to keep his website up and running.
epaddon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't pleasant to see him so openly diss TOS as he did in a forum where we belonged to (the first Galactica forum I'd ever been part of, and after 8 years I had to quit because of the place it became), but yes, it is nice he keeps the old stories still up.

His experience is a nice reminder of how we can never let the VS become abandoned! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: