ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Television today.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
epaddon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but that's the story of an individual German, and to me his story doesn't change the reason for why American and British leaders had to portray WWII as a cause rooted in moral absolutes because of the actions of the German government.

I agree that good can exist in individuals who find themselves by circumstances of birth to be part of a society that represents evil, and who try to overcome the impulse to be part of the evil that drives the society. But ultimately, there are people who I think flunk the test of "good in all of us" based on the actions and motivations they engage in. If there was "good" to be found in say, Hitler, or Mohammed Atta in an individual deed they did for someone at some point in their lives, it wouldn't be particularly meaningful in terms of the big picture ultimately.

To steer this back to TV, that to me, is why the original Galactica is so refreshing, because Adama in "Saga" sets the tone from the beginning with his whole skepticism as to how "peace" could ever be achieved with the Cylons because as he says to President Adar, "They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of thinking." There is never a dynamic about "trying to understand their motives" or how "peaceful coexistence" with such a foe could be a more meaningful goal.

Just my two cubits.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, EP. Where there is no moral absolute in parity between the parties, there can ultimately be no "co-existence".
Just ask Zac.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: