ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOL Beings.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: SOL Beings. Reply with quote

Engendered by a comment in the "John" thread.

Okay, upon what basis do the SOL beings intervene? They did, using the Galactica to save Terra from turning into Planet of the Crispy Critters, yet they didn't do anything, as far as we know, to save the Colonies. Why? What is your take on them?

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.

Last edited by Senmut on Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
mikedx
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They remind me of the Organians from Star Trek.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar, yes. But the Organians seemed to regard both the Federation and the Klingons as much the same. Almost a moral equivalence. The SOL guys explicitly regard Iblis as corrupt and evil. They, unlike the Organians, pass value judgements.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What still confused me is why they took all the viper pilots. What were they trying to prove or gain from doing this.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pilots were headed into the territory where Iblis was. It may have been some sort of protective measure, since the SOL guys obviously whacked Iblis' ship. Also, Apollo was suspicious of Iblis from the word go. Maybe Bojay and the rest might have been more trusting?

MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they stop a dozen of pilots but they let slip three?!?!

John later appeared and was able to explain what was wrong, because they want to stop war. And for something far more horrible: an entire fleet under the guidance of Iblis, they don't do anything? At least they didn't send to tell them what was happening. How's abducting viper pilot showing they had good intentions and wanted to shield them from Iblis. I don't see this.
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they snagged the Vipers to make the SOL appear menacing before you knew otherwise. Just a poorly thought out part of the plot. I agree, it didn't make much sense.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they did it to keep the pilots from encountering Iblis' ship before it was destroyed, or keep them out of the crossfire between his vessel and the SOL. They were heading in that direction, as evidenced by the scanner readings the Galactica picked up from the planet. That would show compassion on their part towards "mere" Humans.

LZaza

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, but then the signs of the crash would appear more recent. Looked like it had been there for a while. A long while.
mikedx
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they did it to keep the pilots from hurting each other. They certainly couldn't move fast enough to hit the SOL, but they might have flown into/shot each other in a crossfire.

But it could be that they were looking for the right pilots to go on "their" mission. That they took the other ones to analyze them and decide they weren't what they were looking for.
LZaza

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senmut wrote:
The pilots were headed into the territory where Iblis was. It may have been some sort of protective measure, since the SOL guys obviously whacked Iblis' ship. Also, Apollo was suspicious of Iblis from the word go. Maybe Bojay and the rest might have been more trusting?

That is an interesting thought, that the SOL beings "whacked" the ship Iblis was on. I never even considered that before. I guess I considered them above "whacking". I actually thought that the evil path that Iblis was leading the occupants of the ship down ended up causing their destruction somehow.

Actually, until I read the BSG book The Living Legend, I had always thought that the doomed ship was the Pegasus. What was the quote by Apollo on the planet? Something about what crashed there had to be as big as a battlestar. One day I would love to read a different ending to that scene where Sheba looks inside, and instead of Iblis interupting, Sheba finds out that it was the Pegasus that crashed there. I know, it would be alternate universe, but I suppose I just believed it for so long, I would love to see it played out.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you might consider doing youe own fic, there.
Eh?

LZaza

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might just. You never know.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprise us.

LZaza

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of busy writing this other story right now. We'll see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: