ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adar: How do you see him?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Adar: How do you see him? Reply with quote

Simply put...we all know that Adar led the Colonies into destruction at the hands of the Cylons. How do you see him as both a person, and as a politician? Was he essentially a naive fool, who accepted whatever Imperious Leader offered? Or was he essentially a good man, who was manipulated by the peace-at-any-price types, as well of course Baltar?
What is your take?

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
epaddon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could easily say both with those two choices.
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He actually reminded me of someone with early dementia. Seeking that reassurance from a trusted friend (Baltar) and not listening to the opposing opinion from Adama. Almost like you had to treat him with kid gloves to get what you wanted. And if you knew how to manipulate him, you could.

A thought.

Lisa
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddon wrote:
You could easily say both with those two choices.

Please, EP, elaborate. You pique my interest.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
mikedx
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was an elderly statesman, who nearing retirement, wanted to give himself a legacy. Since the war had been going on and on and on, he really didn't see that he had contributed anything. And with the manipulation of Baltar, he honestly thought that he could bring about a peace that had been dreamed of for milenium.

Basically he put all his chips in the pot, and wouldn't accept the fact that he was wrong.
epaddon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was simply that it's possible to be both a good man *and* a naive fool at the same time.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, EP. History has numerous examples. I think Zaza's point that he showed signs of early dementia is also a valid point.

MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always saw him as just "an old fool" who tought who could change something that was so rooted in the programming of all toasters: "the total destruction of the entire human race".

What I never understood and was better picked up in the New Galactica series: Why did they never elect a new president?!?! Sure, in times of war militairy rules, but in later episodes when Cylons hardly attacked Adama and the Council still made up the decisions. Adama got a double role as leader and militairy commander (in some countries this is called a dictator!).
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, MAD. Actually, Adar did seem to have much more power as President of the Quorum of Twelve, than Adama did as his successor, unless we can infer that the majority of the Quorum agreed with him and supported him--which might mean they were as addled as he. And, really it didn't make much sense to have Adama succeed Adar, since he was also Military Leader--though perhaps it was because he was the only surviving member of the original Quorum.
There was a vague reference to elections--which I'm sure Sen or Eric could pinpoint, but just who did the electing was never really clarified. Was it a general election? Or was the privledge of choosing their bureaucratic representatives limited to the elite?
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the elections were basically a vox populi affair, at least as far as circumstances permitted. After Adama announces that they are headed for Earth, that would have been a good time for the vote, since he tells us that representatives from "each ship in our fleet" were present.

MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, when Cain arrived, another commander of the same rank and equal popularity, it was Adama who gave out the shots (against his liking but still). So even though there was no official election that made either of them higher in rank also Cain often agreed (or HAD to agree) to Adama's decisions.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adama's commission was posted before Cain's, technically making him Cain's superior. That, and Adama being the elected President meant Cain had to acquiesce.

LZaza

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAD wrote:
Still, when Cain arrived, another commander of the same rank and equal popularity, it was Adama who gave out the shots (against his liking but still). So even though there was no official election that made either of them higher in rank also Cain often agreed (or HAD to agree) to Adama's decisions.

True enough, but I got the idea that there was some kind of Commander pecking order, and that Cain--the upstart--was below Adama. It seemed inferred anyhow.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. See above. Wink

LZaza

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senmut wrote:
Yes. See above. Wink

Hades Hole! Are you agreeing with me? Someone send me a defibrillator quick! I feel the big one coming on, Elizabeth!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: