ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LZaza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I rediscovered it when the DVD's were released. Then I was trying to find the Larson novels, and ended up discovering fanfiction. I found the list through Maggie, when I wrote a review on one of her and Vaughn's stories. Next thing I knew I was writing.

Still a newbie, Eric. But I miss those who have left, and agree that the energy is powering down. I've heard some great tales from Robert about the old fanfic list and the fun they used to have. Makes me wish I was apart of it from the beginning.
LZaza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, even with some of our opposing views on BSG, we did eventually get all talked out.

But hey . . . I could still use some feedback on how you perceive the Prison System in BSG. I was wondering about the contradictions between the way Croft and co were treated--filthy and chained--compared to Baltar, the Borellian Nomen, and the Eastern Alliance. Why the discrepancies?
epaddon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fanfic list, comparatively speaking is still keeping that spirit alive. The level of output if anything hasn't tapered off overall, though I'll admit it does seem to be a slightly smaller group, and even I am I will admit fighting a bit of the burnout impulse now that I've written the big VS story I was building myself up two years to write, with Baltar's defection back.

What I miss most is the spirit of total togetherness that existed in the pre-GINO era when you *knew* that any forum about Battlestar Galactica was an island of the universe where everyone came together because of their love of the *only* thing that Galactica stood for. I never experienced a harsh moment with anyone in a Galactica forum until the whole GINO mess happened and a number of on-line friendships ended all over the place because of it and many old forums just suffered. What hurt the most was how Galactica was no longer uniquely our own. That's the thing I think I'll always miss the most because it symbolized the spirit of togetherness that was there back then.

But we're glad to know that Galactica still has the ability to attract new fans and participants even in the face of that, Lisa, and don't let our pining nostalgia for what was ever hamper you from doing more!
epaddon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LZaza wrote:

But hey . . . I could still use some feedback on how you perceive the Prison System in BSG. I was wondering about the contradictions between the way Croft and co were treated--filthy and chained--compared to Baltar, the Borellian Nomen, and the Eastern Alliance. Why the discrepancies?

Well I think the reason why Croft and company were that way in the set-up was because of the conscious attempt to do "Dirty Dozen" in space. GOIPZ is a blatant lift of both that movie and "Guns Of Navarone" and one consequence of doing something like that is that you can end up forgetting in the future that you need to maintain that consistency of tone in the set-up.

That's of course the easy explanation for why the writers gave us that contradiction. What you're more interested in I'm sure is how do we reconcile those conflicting visions? Hard to say, I guess one *could* say that the conditions we saw Croft and company in were a carryover of how the Prison Barge functioned in its pre-Destruction period, and we can recall that this is taking place not too long after the Destruction. But perhaps the experience of GOIPZ made Adama decide that some reform conditions were needed in the Prison Barge?
LZaza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily, Starbuck has a way of calling me back. Wink

How did the old list perceive Galactica 1980, btw? As a continuation attempt, I was incredibly disappointed, and dropped it, other than tuning into to watch the Return of Starbuck. But I see the DVD's were released, and that there seems to be a group nostalgic about even that show. Rolling Eyes
LZaza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, between MOTRS only giving Starbuck ten centars to come up with a defence, and GOIPZ treating the prisoners like "Barge Lice", it did give me the impression that the penal/legal system was a harsher one. Vaughn suggested that political prisoners like the Eastern Alliance might be treated differently, which is fair.
epaddon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For almost 20 years we tried to pretend G80 never happened. G80 was not syndicated with Galactica in the 80s and the whole mindset was to pretend it hadn't happened. Terence McDonnell really best summed up the attitude at the 15 Yahren Con when he literally expectorated before saying "Galactica 1980" and the entire audience cheered. Sci-Fi didn't start airing it until about 1998.

I can still remember to this day how even as a fifth grader who was fooled by ABC's purposefully misleading promos that made me think the old Galactica was coming back with a big battle on Earth how bewildered I was when I saw no familiar faces other than Lorne Greene and a boring tedious plotline that had no resemblance to the Galactica I knew and had loved.

The best way of dismissing G80 was done in the mid-90s in this short piece. I have to regret I had a very serious falling out with the author of this over GINO but that doesn't diminish my respect for what she churned out here.

http://www.galacticafanfic.com/stories/alt-g80.txt
LZaza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Yes, I remember reading that years ago as I was picking through the fanfics. It's still hilarious.

Eugenia did a similar thing with GINO. Turned it into an evil IFB broadcast. Had Starbuck showing up looking for naked women and base ships. Laughing
epaddon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say one thing about G80. It *is* possible to salvage the concept in good fanfic by writing something that can harmonize things into a true continuation of the show. One of my earlier projects that did this was my "Galactica 1984" trilogy of stories that did this, but even then I tried to minimize the use of actual G80 stories and just retain the broad concepts (ultimately, strict continuity with the three-part pilot and Return Of Starbuck was all I did while the rest in between I just dismissed for the most part). And my own G84 project built off the fairily decent "Wheel Of Fire" script for an unproduced G80 episode that built off ROS by theorizing that Starbuck had become a SOL being (which is the only way ROS makes sense IMO in that Starbuck's "test" is coming from the SOL to see if he's worthy of becoming one of them).
LZaza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. The Return of Starbuck. I was so thrilled to see him back way back then that it didn't occur to me how much I disliked the story.

So they take a guy who has been risking his life for all of his career, even offering to give his life in place of Apollo's at one point, and then stick a baby and woman in there, and see if he would also give his life for them. To deem him as worthy?

I liked the fan production much better where they cut the Angela scenes, and had him escape in the last Raider, much as that fic suggested. After all, if he can rebuild a Cylon, he can probably work his way around needing a co-pilot.

Oh, my favourite part . . . where he refers to a manual while rebuilding Cy!

Laughing
epaddon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I will admit in G84 I made the stakes a little bigger in terms of what Starbuck's ultimate responsibility as a SOL being was going to be and how the tests were tied to his worthiness to fulfill that specific duty that was made clear in the third and final G84 story. I think you can explain the distinction in that while its easy to tell that Starbuck would sacrifice himself for a close friend, but what of someone he really has no reason to put ahead of his own well-being? But that's just my way of shoehorning things to fit my plot! Smile
LZaza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better test might have been a guy with stinky feet and a flatulence problem! I think we all know that Starbuck is a sucker for the ladies, and throw a helpless child in there . . . well, it just seemed inevitable that he'd save them and stay behind.

And about that . . . if it was the guy, then maybe the hybrid ship wouldn't have launched until after they killed the Cylons. Then Bucko would make it back. Not sure how he had the fuel to do that, but that's another point. Very Happy

I'm not much of a believer in angels, so I suppose I could pick this one apart until the bovines come home! Wink
epaddon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the religious elements of Galactica, I will admit has always been one of the things about the show that's intrigued me most over the years, so I think that's why it was ultimately easier for me to latch into the concept. If Galactica didn't have those overtones, which to me is what sets it apart from so many of its contemporaries on so many levels, I probably wouldn't be as big a fan as I am of the show.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, EP. The openess of faith in Colonial society is one of it's most attractive aspects. To me, anyway.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
LZaza

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the cute guys, myself. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: