ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Athena: How do you see her?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LZaza

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering they were doing a genetic scan on Starbuck and Chameleon, what we seem to be forgetting here is that SB has just as much right to be told the truth as Cham. Technically, Cassie had no right to withhold that info from Starbuck. They both showed up as clients. I don't understand why you think patient confidentiality enters into it.

Didn't Maggie already write this?? Wink
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why I think she would have had to talk to Salik, given the obvious conflict of ethics here.
And isn't this the Athena thread??? Very Happy Very Happy

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
LZaza

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Details. Details.
Very Happy Very Happy
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, like they say in the Fleet...Count Iblis is in the details. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
epaddon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athena's always presented me with a few interesting facets whenever I've written fanfic.

#1-I see her as bitter over her breakup with Starbuck (which is really to explain the lack of contact we see between them over the rest of the series) and that she's not willing to commit to anyone again anytime soon in part because of that bitterness.

#2-I have also felt that while Galactica is a fascinating series for its exploration of people of faith as strong characters, I have always found Athena to be the one character who IMO would be more suitably drawn as a person who lost her faith as a result of the Destruction. In every fanfic I've written she's basically the equivalent of an atheist now, because she had such an innocent trusting faith before the Destruction, and then the horror of seeing Zac killed before her eyes, and then losing her mother and then losing her relationship with Starbuck was too much for her faith to hold together. It's easier for her IMO to now reject her faith and try to just build up her character by looking elsewhere. For me, this can make for an interesting contrast with the unshakable faith of her father, and Apollo who I see as a believer, but not perhaps as intellectually secure in it in the way his father is.

At any rate, this is what I extrapolate out of Athena based on what little we got to see, and how the character can be developed further in some interesting ways.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really a "loss of Faith", EP, or merely a manifestation of "angry at God" to the point of cutting oneself off out of fury and hurt?
Or do you see a significant difference in Athena's case?

MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to speculate how she would have dealt with her wounds, the heavy burnings as suggested in the Larson Season 2 script. Would she have retired and become a civilian again or would she have fought and prove everybody wrong. I tend to believe she probably would never be fit for duty on the bridge again and turn to politics in stead. She was a teacher and as a bridge officer she had enough knowledge of the military. Any thought on that?
LZaza

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suspect they would have recast some pretty young thing to replace Maren Jensen, not an actress who was portraying a scarred, disabled character. If that was the case, she would likely be able to continue on the Bridge--keeping in mind I haven't read the projected storyline on Athena in the "2nd season". Unless she decided to pursue her love of flying and get back in a Viper. I don't really see Athena as a politician. That woman had a temper that rivalled Apollo's. Remember the steam burn incident with Starbuck in the launch tube? Heh heh. Must have inherited the temper from their mother.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhmm...
I wonder if Adama ever considered steam-purging Sire Uri???

Very Happy

MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote Athena for President. Aside from the actress Maren Jensen and if she'd be capable to pull it off. I think there's enough power in the Athena character to get elected as President. If she only had part of her father's skills, I think she would have done great. And it would have been time to get another election going. Now they have almost martial law, since Adama overrules all. Who else could be the new President? I don't see a lot of other candidates for the job.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just it. Those with sufficient experience for the job are either part of the bunch that got the Colonies into the final mess in the first place, or who are too caught up in their dislike of Adama, too self-absorbed to see that they would blunder right into another disaster.

LZaza

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAD wrote:
I vote Athena for President. Aside from the actress Maren Jensen and if she'd be capable to pull it off. I think there's enough power in the Athena character to get elected as President. If she only had part of her father's skills, I think she would have done great. And it would have been time to get another election going. Now they have almost martial law, since Adama overrules all. Who else could be the new President? I don't see a lot of other candidates for the job.

How about Wolf for president? Wink
LZaza

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More seriously, would they take Adama's daughter seriously as a candidate for president, or would they consider that she was just her father's pawn? After all, she hasn't really set herself apart in any way, or really built an identity for herself that was separate from her father. She's been directly under his tutelage on the Bridge, to accentuate that point. And if martial law was really getting to the civilians enough to demand change, and a vote came up, would they replace the father with the daughter in that light?
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Athena would be inseperably linked to Adama, and since she has striven to support him, would probably continue to do so now. Besides, some of Adama's enemies would doubtless use attacks on Athena to get at Adama in one way or another. Either way, an ugly situation.

epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question Sen, I see Athena as one who can't conceive of the idea of an unjust God, so that's why her loss of faith is one in which she is now a committed atheist because its easier for her to believe in there being no God to explain the unjustness of humanity's plight then to believe in an unjust God.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: