ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chameleon: Was he really Starbuck's father?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Chameleon: Was he really Starbuck's father? Reply with quote

Science brings him awefully close, but was he really Starbuck's father?

Your opinion, please! And I'm also curious if any of the fanfic writers used him again in any of their stories. I always thought he was a great character and was sad he didn't return more often (I mean characterwise, I know it was probably impossible budgetwise, unless his grandchildren urged him again Wink)
LZaza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starbuck senior? Do you have the other half of this amulet, Chameleon? Yep, birds of a feather, those two.

Actually, Maggie -who contributed quite a few stories to the Virtual Season project as well as many other fantastic BSG fanfics-did an excellent job writing Chameleon and the 'afterburn' effect on Starbuck when he finds out that Cassiopeia lied to him, and that Chameleon had never come forward to tell Starbuck the truth about the relationship.

I personally think that scene at the end of the show where SB and Chameleon walk off with Bucko's arm around him talking about card systems was SB trying to make the others think he was fine with it all, but it would cut deeply almost finding your father to then have it revealed that you were only being used instead. I think SB would let Chameleon drift away and lose contact unless the old man actually did tell him the truth. And the further apart they drifted, the less likely Chameleon would be to tell him. Wouldn't be so easy 'breaking in a son' for the old conman either.

In the VS version when I contributed my two cubits and co-wrote an episode with Maggie-I had SB avoiding Chameleon, angry and resentful that his father lied to him, and we're actually working on resolving that issue in the current episode.
epaddon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have indeed been using more of Chameleon in the VS. And right now Chameleon is involved in a relationship with a woman that he doesn't know is Baltar's wife! Smile
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we have decided that it was time for more of Chammy. No more dancing around the issue for us. Of course, we gotta be kinda ginger with him...

Wink

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
mikedx
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From watching the episode, I thought it was pretty obvious that Cassi made the DNA match, and that Cham didn't want Starbuck to know.

It there was more to it than that, I mised it.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There twern't. Ya missed nuttin'.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the coincidence is too big. Chameleon making up a bullshit story that Starbuck is his son from images he sees on TV and it turning out to be true.
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that episode. It would have been a bit much if Chameleon had embraced Starbuck lovingly at the end, and they had lived happily ever after.
However, the fact that it ended on that note of deceit by the old conman, with that unresolved thread, gave it the icing on the cake in my perspective. And that scene with Starbuck diving out of the launch tube after Chameleon had blasted the Nomen . . . one of my favourite action sequences in BSG.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LZaza wrote:
I love that episode. It would have been a bit much if Chameleon had embraced Starbuck lovingly at the end, and they had lived happily ever after.
However, the fact that it ended on that note of deceit by the old conman, with that unresolved thread, gave it the icing on the cake in my perspective. And that scene with Starbuck diving out of the launch tube after Chameleon had blasted the Nomen . . . one of my favourite action sequences in BSG.

Yes, the ending they did was near-perfect. The two of them discussing gambling was just choice!

epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAD wrote:
I think the coincidence is too big. Chameleon making up a bullshit story that Starbuck is his son from images he sees on TV and it turning out to be true.

Not really, because I think you have to consider the reason why Chameleon gravitated toward Starbuck as a potential out from his trouble with the Nomen, is because he had to realize the startling coincidence to his own situation in life once he heard Starbuck tell all on the IFB (us Galactica fans NEVER say they have TV! Very Happy) and probably was thinking, "Boy, this is a Providential opportunity for me to get out from under the fix I'm in."

Heck, to me the ultimate of coincidences is everything that unfolded in the SW trilogy. Smile
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddon wrote:

Heck, to me the ultimate of coincidences is everything that unfolded in the SW trilogy. Smile

"I find your lack of faith disturbing......"

rasp rasp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: