ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Athena: How do you see her?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Athena: How do you see her? Reply with quote

To me Atherna is a complex character, far beyond the fluff she was often viewed as by the critics. Adama trusts her enough to have her both as his personal pilot, and a senior bridge officer. There is obviously more deep down to Athena.
How do you all see her?

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.

Last edited by Senmut on Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Athena: How do you see her? Reply with quote

Senmut wrote:
Adama trusts her enough to have her both as his personal pilot, and a senior bridge officer.

If you can't trust your own daughter who can you trust!?!?

*Sigh* Maren, Maren, Maren... *Sigh* Oops, I mean Athena of course... Smile

I always found it a shame she never got the part they had intended for her. In the scripts her part was bigger than on screen... Too bad it didn't work out (for whatever reason).

Over time Maren now has become my enigma. I'm determined to find her and figure out what happened to her... to finally solve the mystery.

On the Athena side she's just as much a mystery. She's a pilot, bridge officer, teacher, commander's daughter and lover to Starbuck. That's enough material to give her a much bigger part on the show. Compared to Sheba (also a commander's daughter) she comes across much more "feminine". She shows her maternal side when she teaches a class of children and in a dress it's beyond me why Starbuck even dared to "double date" her opposite Cassiopeia!
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Athena: How do you see her? Reply with quote

MAD wrote:

On the Athena side she's just as much a mystery. She's a pilot, bridge officer, teacher, commander's daughter and lover to Starbuck. That's enough material to give her a much bigger part on the show.
it's beyond me why Starbuck even dared to "double date" her opposite Cassiopeia!

Yes, but realistically, this was a show that featured Starbuck and Apollo. The boys were supposed to want to be them, and the girls were just supposed to want them. Again, the beauty of the fan fiction is that there is an entire site devoted to the telling of Athena tales. The Order of the Athena Defenders. Her character is explored well beyond the original series interpretation.As for the "double-dating", it's truly Starbuckian. Put the phrase "dared to" into it, and Starbuck will take it on.
Wink
zankoku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your assesment of fan fic. We fan fic writers have the opportunity to delve into the characters and expand on the stories to our hearts delight.

We don't have to worry about time constraints, budgets, studio heads or advertisers.

Jim
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zankoku wrote:
I agree with your assesment of fan fic. We fan fic writers have the opportunity to delve into the characters and expand on the stories to our hearts delight.

We don't have to worry about time constraints, budgets, studio heads or advertisers.

Jim

So you're saying when the people who are reading your fanfic give you the idea that the character you write about is totally not interesting, you still continue, even if nobody is reading your fanfic anymore? (since it still statisfies you as a writer).
LZaza

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAD wrote:

So you're saying when the people who are reading your fanfic give you the idea that the character you write about is totally not interesting, you still continue, even if nobody is reading your fanfic anymore? (since it still statisfies you as a writer).

Well, there's a lot of "To Be Continued" stories out there that never were. I think it's up to the individual. I know that feedback on my writing inspires me to keep going. But then, I belong to a friendly writers list where usually someone has something to say about what you post. I know that I've expanded on original characters because feedback has dictated that they're "interesting". I also hear it loud and clear when people following my story complain there "wasn't enough Starbuck" in that last chapter. But there's also a lot of satisfaction out of just creating something that pleases me.
zankoku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started writing fiction stories many years ago and not many people saw them. i wrote for me as a way to deals with some ghosts. Once I got into fan fic, I aligned myself wit not only friendly people and good writers who encouraged me to continue. I too have a two or three tbc stories but it is not because of lack of interest but too many ideas from other genres. Personally I like fan fic as it is a tool for me to improve my writing and use what I have learned in my rewrite of two of my novels.

I write mainly to satisfy myself, in fact my first story was non fiction that I never intended to show others.

Jim
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zankoku wrote:

Jim

Quite true. Since we are none of the above, we can think and see our characters beyond the jiggle the advertizers wanted. Athena had a brain behind all that drool-inspiring pulchritude. In my own fic, I try to show that.

P.S. What fic have ytou done?

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
mikedx
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the whole reason that Anne turned down the initial role of either Athena or Serina was that her role was just going to be standing on the sidelines cheering the boys on.

With that said, it seemed like Athena was a jack of all trades that just filled in when necessary. Did her different talents make her stand out? Absolutely! She stepped up as a viper pilot in Lost Planet of the Gods. But it seemed like she was put in more of a sterotyped womans place in just fill whatever capacity that's needed instead of her truly finding her identity.

I do like the way that Hatch handled her character in his books. She basically takes over, so that he can still fly off in the vipers as it suits him.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So at least the fanfic and Hatch do her justice after all these years. Too bad things didn't work out on screen. Would have loved to have seen a stronger female character from scratch. Anne filled the gap, but this was already halfway through the series.

I think it might even have worked if Cassie was left a socialator (still in practise that is, not becoming monogamous because of Starbuck all of sudden... Monogamous to Starbuck... of all people! Very Happy ). At least she would have been more independent and not cheering on the boys.
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAD wrote:
So at least the fanfic and Hatch do her justice after all these years. Too bad things didn't work out on screen. Would have loved to have seen a stronger female character from scratch. Anne filled the gap, but this was already halfway through the series.

I think it might even have worked if Cassie was left a socialator (still in practise that is, not becoming monogamous because of Starbuck all of sudden... Monogamous to Starbuck... of all people! Very Happy ). At least she would have been more independent and not cheering on the boys.

Hmm. Now surely one doesn't need to fly Vipers and shoot bad guys to be a strong female character. I actually thought that Cassie was just that. As a character, the switch from socialator to med tech was admirable, if a tad unlikely. However, that said, Cassie did things on her terms. If she was just there to support the boys, she wouldn't have gone to embrace Cain when the old boy rolled in. I loved that about Cassie. She went with her instinct and accepted things at face value. A trifle naive, for a socialator, especially where conmen are concerned, but a genuine trait. I guess the reason most people saw her clicking with Starbuck was that she would accept him for who he was with all his considerable faults, just as he had accepted her, knowing where she had come from, and perhaps partially because of it, in return.

Actually, most of the female characters were strong personalities. Cassie, Athena, Serina, Dietra. It was the treatment by the writers, in that they received little in the way of screen time comparatively, that makes them be perceived as less strong than Sheba. Hmm?
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen, totally agree to this!

As I said: too bad they only started realizing this when Sheba came in. Suddenly Cassie is also in leather fighting with the boys! Okay, she was the med tech on the mission, but this was the first mission she was even allowed to join.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LZaza wrote:

Hmm. Now surely one doesn't need to fly Vipers and shoot bad guys to be a strong female character. I actually thought that Cassie was just that. As a character, the switch from socialator to med tech was admirable, if a tad unlikely. However, that said, Cassie did things on her terms. If she was just there to support the boys, she wouldn't have gone to embrace Cain when the old boy rolled in. I loved that about Cassie. She went with her instinct and accepted things at face value. A trifle naive, for a socialator, especially where conmen are concerned, but a genuine trait. I guess the reason most people saw her clicking with Starbuck was that she would accept him for who he was with all his considerable faults, just as he had accepted her, knowing where she had come from, and perhaps partially because of it, in return.

I didn't see Cassie as naive, re Chamaleon. She was not functioning as an asocialator, so she wasn't approaching or evaluating Chammy either from a sexual standpoint, or from an analysis of his checkbook. She meets him second-hand as it were, and partly in a medical context. Thus her evaluation of him is somewhat skewed.
As to Starbuck, I think she clicked with him not just for the reasons you state, but also because he rescued her from a ship where some folks wanted to toss her out an airlock. I think I can understand her point of view.

LZaza

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant she was naive to take Cham at face value regarding the promise that he would tell SB the truth at some point. And I'm not sure what you mean about the Sexual standpoint or Cheque Book analysis, I was referring more to her being a good judge of character after dealing with people so intimately for so long as a socialator. I think she would know when someone was throwing her a line. So it was more her social skills that I was referring to. I'm not sure she should have accepted Chameleon's promise so readily, especially if she really cared about SB. Obviously, this would be damn important toSB.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant was that she was not scanning Cham in "asocialtor" mode, thus her perceptions of him were different from what they might otherwise have been. As to believing his promise, re Starbuck, as a medical officer she has to take what her patients say at face value. She can't examine truth on a scanner. But, deep down inside, I think she knows that Chameleon is trying to shine her. Look at how he smiles when he tells her "Maybe the day he gets sealed". An obvious pumping the of the charm up to lightspeed. But, as far as the purely medical aspect is concerned, she can say nothing, except perhaps to Salik.
Might make for an interesting fic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: