ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sheba: Are she and Apollo destined for each other?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedx wrote:
well I think the fact that Cassi was close to her own age made a difference as well.

Definitely, I agree. Again, I think Sheba would have wanted to be comforting her father after Mother's death. Cassie took her place, as well as her mother's. Not a wonder Sheba was choked at her.

Lisa
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which probably resulted in alot of toasted Cylons. I mean, when Sheba gets pissed....duck!

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right, Sen. Did they ever establish a time frame for Cain losing his wife? I wonder how old Sheba was. As in, was she in the Academy, or already an officer?
epaddon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have to be no more than a yahren before the Pegasus disappeared because I think Cain plunged into the relationship very rapidly out of a desperate need for comfort at that point. The LL novelization offers something close to that, and I think Sheba would have been just graduating at the time the relationship began and getting assigned to the Pegasus at the time Cain goes off on the mission that ends up in the Battle of Molocay.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was obviously involved with Cassie long enough for Sheba to develop a deep animosity towards her, so deep it nearly blew the Gamoray mission. I'm betting a bit longer than a yahren.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
epaddon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to take this thread back full-circle, if Apollo still felt any residual guilt inside over whether he was dishonoring Serina's memory or not, the experience Sheba had watching her father and Cassie would provide her with some helpful ammunition to make Apollo realize that finding a new love does not mean one is dishonoring the love one has lost.
LZaza

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddon wrote:
And to take this thread back full-circle, if Apollo still felt any residual guilt inside over whether he was dishonoring Serina's memory or not, the experience Sheba had watching her father and Cassie would provide her with some helpful ammunition to make Apollo realize that finding a new love does not mean one is dishonoring the love one has lost.

Actually, now that you mention it, the ole Captain was 'out of the launch tube' pretty quick after Serina's death. Within a season anyhow, so about 6 or 7 sectars. Wink I'm not sure Earth psychologists would approve. . . .might be even more reason for them --Apollo & Sheba--not to have a successful relationship. Twisted Evil
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, but life in the Fleet is hardly a normal environment, emotional or otherwise. With everyone crammed together like olives in a jar, realtionships and rebound times will not fit typical social norms. Besides, we don't know what is considered "normal" in Colonial society, vis-a-vis marriage, widowhood, remarriage, et al.
Except for the Atori sect, of course. Laughing

Last edited by Senmut on Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Dawg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind if a new guy chimes in on this discussion?

First, I have a feeling that the writers tried to have the best (read: juciest) of both scenarios - the emotional baggage of having lost her mother early, and have her father take up with a woman near her own age for comfort.

Realisticaly, Sheba must have lost her mother while in the Acadamy or thereabouts - Cain took up with Cassie before Sheba was ready for him to become involved with another woman. Then to have that woman be so close to her own age was kind of icing on the cake. Instant dislike.

And I don't think it was a socialator-client relationship, either. There seemed to be a much deeper connection there.

Of course, then came Gamorray, Sheba saw Cassie's true character, and the walls came down.

I would like to think the Apollo-Sheba connection would end up being permanent, too. Oh, I can see fireworks in the process, but as she said - maybe the reason two people snipe at each other is because they don't want to deal with the deeper feelings that are there.

They are both victims of deep personal losses and both sought to insulate themselves against further pain. Sheba willed herself to be harder than hard, Apollo volunteered for every dangerous mission that came up - his way to try to atone for not dying instead of Serina. Sufficient time had passed, though, for both of them to at least begin to consider opening up a bit.

The courtship would be interesting to write... But you'd just about need a degree in psychology to do it right.

Once that happened, though - they are two similar types, they complement each other well, they both know what it takes to do the job the other does.

And I think Boxey would be OK with it.

It would be an interesting story, though, wouldn't it?

That's my two cubits.

I am
Dawg
Cool

I'm at: Dawg's House
LauretteSpang.com
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senmut wrote:
Perhaps, but life in the Fleet is hardly a normal environment, emotional or otherwise. With everyone crammed together like olives in a jar, realtionships and rebound times will not fit typical social norms. Besides, we don't know what is considered "normal" in Colonial society, vis-a-vis marriage, widowhood, remarriage, et al.
Except for the Atori sect, of course.

Actually, I wasn't really being fair to Apollo. After all, he just sat there like a deer in the headlights when Sheba kissed him. Not exactly a "launch when ready". Perhaps the courtship would take a while before they got very serious. Did Sheba and Boxey even appear in a scene together in the series?

And Dawg, welcome to the fray. Always good to read another opinion. Keep 'em coming.
epaddon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I thought it was Apollo's thoughtful reflection *after* Sheba left the cockpit that was the moment of inner revelation for Apollo. And rather tellingly there was a scene shot but not included in the final cut where Apollo muses out loud to Starbuck as they're headed down to meet Baltar that he wishes he could have seen Sheba again.

No, Sheba and Boxey never appeared together in the series but they are in one wide shot in a cut scene from WOTG that is in the telemovie that shows them arriving back on the Galactica after the SOL released them.
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a touching moment. Certainly gave the man one more thing to think about as he set off on his suicide mission.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And opened up lots of future possibilities for FanFic.

Very Happy

MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen Larson didn't think Apollo and Sheba were a great couple at all. He killed off Sheba in the first episode of the Second Season. Read this thread:

http://www.annelockhart.com/site/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1280
epaddon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still find that memo baffling to this day. And we are in many respects glad that if that was the way Larson was going to go, that there never was a second season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Main Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: