ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sheba: Her greatest strength?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
epaddon

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably since this is the AL board is why we stay focused more on Sheba's future path! Smile

I take the view that Sheba is the kind of person who would not necessarily see family and career as an either/or proposition. If anything, she'd be showing more of her father's streak if she were determined to show she could have the best of both worlds from her standpoint despite the odds.
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Apollo's certainly been discussed along with her.

I'm not sure how you mean the best of both worlds in regards to Cain. How could you have the best of both worlds in career and family, when his career would have so dominated his life? I envision Sheba and Mom being on their own most of the time. Unless, you're saying that was the sacrifice he made, and it was the best he could do with the situation he faced?

Hardly ideal though for a family focussed man, which I get the idea he probably wasn't while he was building his reputation as the Juggernaut.
epaddon

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess by best of both worlds, I'm thinking just in terms of willingness to make *a* commitment, and that she can handle those responsibilities as well as those of career.

Regarding Cain, I only meant that showing the sheer stubborn determination ("I can handle this!") is what she'd be inheriting from her father, not that her father succeeded in juggling the specific responsibilities, since she'd be well aware of his shortcomings in that area. She'd just be channeling the area of determination that she has from her father and focus it more on this area.
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing she would draw on from her own experience was that very memory of her father's--I wouldn't call it 'shortcomings', but more an obvious lack of presence. It would be interesting though, if you plan on having Apollo and Sheba working together side by side in the VS, if they would recognize that long shifts spent away from their family might not work very well in a family dynamic. Of course, that's further down the line, assuming they have more kids.
And, of course, Apollo was seen to be a very caring and involved father with Boxey. I'm certain that he would keep his children as a priority in his life. He would have felt the absence of a father as well, and I can't help but think that might influence both he and Sheba. But, then again, that could go both ways. After all, neither of them turned into serial killers, so maybe they would accept a certain absence and community/extended family involvement in raising a family?

Somehow I see Adama parenting differently than Cain. Perhaps because he was on the Quorum of Twelve, I envision him being home more often. Spending less time battling Cylons in deep space.
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all of what you say is one reason why there shouldn't be any kids in Apollo and Sheba's immediate VS future. Sheba already knows she's got a tough enough task to be the new mother for Boxey, and she wouldn't even think of taking on the new responsibility at this stage in the game.
LZaza

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I agree, but wasn't there a scene at the beginning of this ep that had Sheba thinking she was pregnant? And talking about potentially running out of birth control in the Fleet?

(I hear Starbuck's got Cassiopeia working fulltime on that particular research project for a new synthetic version.) Very Happy
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there was a scene. She got a scare about it (courtesy of the end of the last episode as I recall), so that necessitated the scene where she mused about how she'd accept the responsibility if it came, but it wouldn't come as a result of deliberate planning at this stage.
LZaza

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought maybe the bit about running out of birth control measures meant that the Fleet was in for a sudden population burst. Not so?

One would think that a certain amount of "family planning" would be encouraged so the people didn't swell beyond the limitations of the supplies and transports. Ever discussed?
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I tend to take the view that the ability to mass-produce such devices would not present too formidable challenge for the Fleet. Assuming the technology in it to have been a thousand yahrens ahead of our own, I think the guys on Wilker's staff should pretty much have a formula in place for how to produce it.
LZaza

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Wilker producing birth control 'devices'. Sounds a bit scary. Shocked
epaddon

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the agro-ship developing a pill made from only natural ingredients? Smile
LZaza

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please!!!!

I had a story that featured a group of techs from the Agro Ship topping up botanicals on a planet for use in medical applications.

That whole Wilker idea just makes me want to shiver. Wink
epaddon

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means incorporate that Agro-Ship idea somewhere in a future VS installment. Smile
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With or without Sheba?

Very Happy

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well?

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Main Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: