ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your least favourite scene with Sheba?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LZaza

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: What's your least favourite scene with Sheba? Reply with quote

Equal time demanded for least favourite scenes. Mine personally would be the ones in War of the Gods where she's protrayed as weak minded, so utterly and easily taken in by Count Iblis.
Had a hard time swallowing that one after she was portrayed as such a capable warrior in the other episodes.
However, I guess it balanced her character a bit, showing a few flaws and making her a bit more human.

Lisa
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was missing her father, her idol, and Iblis zeroed in on this weak spot.
Good observation.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.

Last edited by Senmut on Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
epaddon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been critical of WOTG in the context of what happens to Sheba. I think where WOTG is ultimately lacking vis-a-vis Sheba is that it doesn't advance the relationship between her and Apollo forward as well as it could have. Apollo IMO should have come off as more distrusting of Iblis based on his jealousy and not because he had some special insight into Iblis being not what he seemed to be.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jealousy seems, to me, something that's outside of Apollo's nature. I think his experience in sizing up people, something of value in being a squadron leader, serves him well in getting the measure of Iblis. It is his Warrior instinct, rather than his crotch, that makes things clear.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a least favorite scene, just least favorite episodes. Least favorite is "Experiment in Terra" for not containing ANY scene with Anne (why?). And "Greetings From Earth", a 2 hour special (double episode) with only ONE small scene containing Sheba mostly in the background (argument with Reese over the newly arrived astronauts)! Not hiring Anne from start was already a big miss, but when she did finally arrive, they cut her out of 3 full episodes!!! Sad Sad Sad
mikedx
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I both agree that I would have hoped that Sheba would have been stronger willed to resist Iblis, and also that she did get swept away with him because she missed her father, who was also a powerful, strongwilled person.

As a what if, I want to know what would have happened if Iblis ran into the Pegasus after Liviing Legend. On the one hand, Cain would have been jealous and would think about throwing him out an airlock. And on the Pegasus, not many people would have followed Iblis over Cain. But on the other hand, Iblis could have changed tactics and promised Cain ultimate glory with battle over the cylons.

Who knows what would have happened...
epaddon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago (about 1993) I wrote a fanfic (not one of my better ones) that suggested that if Iblis went after Cain post-LL, he wouldn't have approached Cain directly but rather would have sent one of his followers to do the task, specifically a female minion (I had in mind this vision of Patrick MacNee having a female minion played by Diana Rigg. Avengers in-joke there. Smile) The idea that Cain would be more inclined to distrust a male, but perhaps could be led astray by a female with powers promising victory etc.
epaddon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in agreement regarding what I have always derisively referred to as the "Terrible Terran Trilogy." It is for me the least enjoyable part of the original series, period.
LZaza

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS to Sheba falling for Iblis because she was missing her father, I don't really buy it. This was a couple eps since LL so she had some transitional time, and not only that, she was no stranger to loss, having already lost her Mother . . . not to mention everyone else she knew and loved that were left behind or killed in the Colonies.
I also am inclined to think that Sheba didn't go from diapers to the Pegasus. She would have had yahrens away from Cain's influence since he was away at war, and then she went to the Academy and on to earlier postings before the Pegasus. I think it makes sense that she wouldn't have wanted to graduate the Academy and then join her father's ship. She would have wanted to prove her skills and abilities before joining Cain's crew. I believe the same would be true of Apollo. I don't see either of them wanting their rise up the military ladder being attributed to favouritism under the tutelage of Daddy.
So, while I could see Sheba hero worshipping Cain all her life--actually, that would probably be the basis of their relationship Wink --I don't see her so overcome with grief that she would blindly follow Iblis. It was more some exertion of mind control that he had over her--her glazed over expression as he gazed into her eyes (groan!). And since Adama and Apollo were both resistant to this influence, they portrayed Sheba as weak in my opinion.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iblis does have a rather overwhelming personality, remember. After he studies Sheba a moment, he exclaims "Of course". That's when using her love of Cain to attack Sheba from the spiritual side. Yes, it had been a while since LL, but time probably made her miss Daddy all the more. Seeing Apollo, Athena, and Adama as a close-knit group would have reinforced her feeling of being alone.
It is not weakness of character on Sheba's part. Just a Human frailty that Iblis has had eons to learn how to exploit.

Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But...least fav scene?
I think it is the one where, on a gurney, she begs to remain on the Pegasus with Cain. I know she was hurt and probably doped to the gills, but the whole thing just looked very un-Sheba to me.
Anyone else?

LZaza

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was very committed to Cain at that point. I think she always would be very committed to Cain.
epaddon

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My least favorite scene is her poor delivery of the lines ,"I won't give up!" in FIS after the charges are blown. It's really the lowpoint of Anne performance wise as Sheba IMO.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the words were "I refuse to believe that".
But yes, vous are right.

mikedx
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially since they show her wearing both the Galactica helmet and Pegasus helmet in FIS while on the same flight. Maybe she changed to put her lucky helmet on to make sure the boys make it out ok...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Main Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: