ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colonial Decorum
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Colonial Decorum Reply with quote

Okay, most of you must have noticed that BSG was a little bit light on the salutes and 'yes, sirs'. What do you think of that? Was Adama a bit lax following the Destruction, or was that the norm?
Taranis

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Colonial Decorum Reply with quote

LZaza wrote:
Okay, most of you must have noticed that BSG was a little bit light on the salutes and 'yes, sirs'. What do you think of that? Was Adama a bit lax following the Destruction, or was that the norm?

I mainly heard "Commander" when the crew where addressing Adama . only once I think I heard Tigh address him as Adama in"Baltar Escapes" when troops where going to storm the bay .. and Tigh need them to follow Apollo Plan..

I for one am delighted that salutes the most modern armies where not used
or digging up old one from the Romans was like wised not used.

Salutes are a bad habit anyway . you do it in a combat situation and you have one dead commander (so to speck)

ok apart from the fact that Command Crew were different colored uniforms (Dark Blue) to the Warriors (Tan) is beside the point .

But have StarBuck and Sheba and Apollo standing together at attention
who would be the ranking officer. I don't think you could tell (until Starbuck saluted Apollo and Apollo is shot do and Starbuck skips off with Sheba)
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one missed the salutes, but slipping off with Sheba sounds fun. Very Happy

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
LZaza

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I also enjoyed the downplayed decorum in the series. But occasionally you could see someone crossing the lines of propriety--usually Starbuck--and he would hastily add a "sir", or a "If you don't mind me asking, sir" to the mix.

Apollo in Saga was a bit on the uptight side about decorum, especially to Starbuck, oddly enough. Then again, the captain had good reason to be a bit on edge with the recent destruction and loss of family. It was an odd portrayal, because at the beginning Apollo seemed quite hard on Starbuck--which actually led you to believe they were more just co-workers, then later Apollo refused to leave Starbuck in the Ovion mines, saying something to the effect of, "I left Zac behind, I'm not leaving you too". That inferred they were closer. Of course, I also read somewhere that Starbuck wasn't supposed to be such a major character, but he appealed so much to the audience, that the producers changed that.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Apollo was POd about losing Zac, mostly due to SB conning the kid into flying his patrol, so he could stay and play cards. I'd have been pissed too.
As to no salutes, that was a tad too Star Trek for me. A bit more decorum militaris would not have hurt at all.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
LZaza

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh??? C'mon, Starbuck didn't con Zac. If anything, Zac was trying to con Apollo so he could fly the patrol. And Apollo knew it, because frankly, Zac wasn't all that good at it. Also Starbuck hadn't exactly thrown himself into the role of accomplice with much enthusiasm. Furthermore, Starbuck even offered to go along for insurance and Apollo refused.

I can't see Apollo blaming Starbuck for that. He's too rational. If anything, Apollo would blame himself for buying into the whole scene and NOT letting Starbuck come along for the ride.
epaddon

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I never saw any indication that Apollo was mad at Starbuck. Starbuck admittedly felt some guilt about it, as we saw in his scene with Athena, but even she didn't blame him.
LZaza

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, guilt by association. Starbuck, Apollo, Adama, & Athena probably all felt some measure of guilt over Zac's death. Yet, ultimately, none of them were really to blame . . . but I'll bet they all carried it with them in varying degrees. Adama and Apollo most especially.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddon wrote:
Agreed. I never saw any indication that Apollo was mad at Starbuck. Starbuck admittedly felt some guilt about it, as we saw in his scene with Athena, but even she didn't blame him.

Did we see the same ep???? Wink I honestly see it entirely different than you seem to. As to Athena, aside from pushing SB away, she was more rational and understanding about it than her brother. But Apollo, true to his character, stops blaming SB once the raw edge wears off.

LZaza

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the Zac, Starbuck, Apollo scene again. Starbuck is not the one doing the scamming.

I think Starbuck was rubbing Apollo's last stretched nerve though right after the Destruction. Maybe Apollo was still coming to terms with things when he threatened to loan Starbuck and Boomer out to Beta Company. I'm sure Starbuck's almost blithe reaction to the Destruction might have got to Apollo. Maybe that's why he was dragging "yes, sir"s out of Starbuck.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, and he is abetting Zac. The disloyal opposition is immovable!

LZaza

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reluctantly abetting. And Starbuck offers to come along. Apollo declines.

However, that said, I'd love to see a piece where Apollo stews over an ale, coming to terms with whether or not Starbuck was to blame. If you really believe it to be true, I'd love to be convinced via my favourite forum. Fanfiction. How about it, Sen? Twisted Evil
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANOTHER FanFic? I'm stuck in the Zykonian Empire, an alternate timeline with a hotwired space shuttle, not to mention a wandering former Moon, and you want WHAT???????

LZaza

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, cool! Are you working on another Space 1999 story?

(I just want a little one. A ficlet. Razz )
LZaza

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could put it in a Chron. Another night at the Lost Souls Bar, Grill, and Exotic Booze Emporium. Hmm?

We coming due for a Chron, Sen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: