ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ahh Sheba.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LZaza

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find her believable in the role of a warrior. No confidence, her first launch was almost her last. It seemed to me that a responsible squadron leader would have been reluctant to put her in a fighter, even under those circumstances. She didn't seem ready. Needed some more time in the sims.In retrospect, it probably wasn't so much that I didn't like Brie, it just made it seem like Starbuck was spending too much time flirting with the girls, and Apollo too much time being embarrassed by Serina, to notice that maybe one of their cadets wasn't ready.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Brie might have washed out of the Academy, or at least been held back for her poor performance, under the new conditions of the Fleet, allowances must be made. With all the losses in pilots at Cimtar and Carillon, they have no choice, as slim as the pickins' might be. And, ultimately, she does prove her mettel.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
epaddon

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "sexism" I think it was just how in LPOTG the situation was dealt with in a way that just didn't ring completely true to what Colonial society would have been accustomed to doing at that point. And there was the fact that a couple of scenes were done more for TV episode comedic effect like the scene with the women in the pressure suits and Serina inappropriately doing her "I love you" bit to Apollo, which to me undermined the gravity of the situation. So what I was concerned with in the adaptation was just maintaining a dead serious tone the whole way through.
LZaza

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senmut wrote:
While Brie might have washed out of the Academy, or at least been held back for her poor performance, under the new conditions of the Fleet, allowances must be made. With all the losses in pilots at Cimtar and Carillon, they have no choice, as slim as the pickins' might be. And, ultimately, she does prove her mettel.

I don't think Brie would have washed out of the Academy, but she probably wouldn't have been a pilot. Unless she was flying a desk . . . Laughing
epaddon

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we'd seen more of the unnamed brunette pilot played in a couple episodes by LeAnn Hunley, who later became a star on one of the daytime soaps in the 80s. She and Dietra had much better instinctive skills than Brie ever showed.
LZaza

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddon wrote:
By "sexism" I think it was just how in LPOTG the situation was dealt with in a way that just didn't ring completely true to what Colonial society would have been accustomed to doing at that point. And there was the fact that a couple of scenes were done more for TV episode comedic effect like the scene with the women in the pressure suits and Serina inappropriately doing her "I love you" bit to Apollo, which to me undermined the gravity of the situation. So what I was concerned with in the adaptation was just maintaining a dead serious tone the whole way through.

I think that many people deal with extremely stressful situations by utilizing humour. Often, the more serious the scenario, the blacker the humour. In a military situation, it seemed entirely believable to me. Especially, with Starbuck and Apollo--both known for their wit--as instructors.
LZaza

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddon wrote:
I wish we'd seen more of the unnamed brunette pilot played in a couple episodes by LeAnn Hunley, who later became a star on one of the daytime soaps in the 80s. She and Dietra had much better instinctive skills than Brie ever showed.

I can't even place her. Did she have any lines?
epaddon

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but in that instance it put me in mind of Starbuck's bizarre comment about signing up the singers for the Star Circuit on Carillon. I guess for myself, I tend to have a sense of decorum that's hard to crack.
LZaza

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Starbuck swept away in a moment of being Starbuck.

Decorum is another good BSG topic, and what the heck, we're sure covering a wide array of them. I always found it refreshing that there was a notable lack of saluting in BSG. The usual superior/subordinate officer interchange was drastically played down. A Starbuck example, of course, when Apollo's obviously on the edge and checking for solium leaks in Saga, but it's not until Apollo gives him the "evil eye" that Starbuck rephrases his question and addresses him as "Captain". How do you guys feel about the downplay of military correctness?
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LZaza wrote:
Senmut wrote:

I don't think Brie would have washed out of the Academy, but she probably wouldn't have been a pilot. Unless she was flying a desk . . . Laughing

Or a shuttle.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
LZaza

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, she was a shuttle pilot, after all.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which, in several stories of mine, she is, being one of the few remaining survivors from the Atlantia. A pilot wash-out, she is assigned to maintenance. She secretly studies flying, and when the attack comes, steals a Viper.

epaddon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LZaza wrote:
epaddon wrote:

I can't even place her. Did she have any lines?

I know specifically she's with a male warrior in TMWNL when the Nomen come down to ask where Starbuck is, and I am also pretty sure she's in LPOTG in the Officers Club scene when all the female pilots are trading stories with each other.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One nice thing BSG had that it shared with the original Trek, was the background actors. Sometimes they had lines, sometimes not, but their being there gave a sense of familiarity and continuity to the ship and crew.

Last edited by Senmut on Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
epaddon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. And it was even a good use of stock footage to cut to a reaction shot of Greenbean in his viper during the bombardment of Gomorrah in LL, even though Greenbean wasn't in the episode and the shot of him was from Saga.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Main Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: