ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sheba: Are she and Apollo destined for each other?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - but go see my post in that other thread.

Wink

I am
Dawg
Cool

I'm at: Dawg's House
LauretteSpang.com
epaddon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'd like a reason to resurrect this thread, I'll note that on the matter of the Season 2 memo, I just for the life of me can't figure out why Larson would have decided that Anne amounted to an expendable member of the cast, whereas he would have kept Athena by doing a convoluted explanation of recasting. If you were going to have the season 2 memo go into effect, and say Larson has this edict from ABC to proceed with only this kind of budget pruning, then this is the only scenario I can think of where things could still have been done in a palatable way:

#1-Kill Athena off. If Maren Jensen wasn't going to be part of the cast any longer, then the character is dispensable, because doing a recast job is never an easy sell in any show. But Athena was by this point not serving a major story purpose since Starbuck was in a more monogamous relationship with Cassie.

#2-If you then want Apollo to suddenly go into this goofier "Starubuckian" mode (and Starbuck suddenly more responsible and serious) then let the explanation for that be Apollo's misery over Athena being killed and now having to deal with the burden of outliving both his younger siblings, it suddenly makes him back away from a serious relationship with Sheba for now and into this more "live for now" mode as his way of covering up the "survivor guilt" he feels more of.

#3-Now let's say we then have this godawful "Cain replicant" story. Discovering her father has met this horrible fate is what for now leaves Sheba shellshocked and pushes her into an attitude similar to Apollo's, and then you can have them apart for now but ultimately over the course of a season they can rediscover their need for each other once again, so this way you can have a season's worth of them working their way towards another "Hand Of God" moment.

It's not a perfect solution, but rather the only way I think you could realistically salvage that memo concept into something I could have lived with had Galactica continued. But naturally, Sheba would still have to have been part of the active picture!
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEK! Re-imagining!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
epaddon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know, Sen, but say you find yourself stuck with this kind of memo and your next job is to try and do a full-court press on Larson to get him to make some adjustments that would still leave us with a palatable storyline even in the context of a reduced budget? I'd like to think the vision I spell out would certainly have been easier to take than the memo as it was first drafted.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and drum up donations from Bill Gates, so as not to have to bow to such ickiness??????????
Anything.......

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
epaddon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a better idea to just put your creative mind to work and try and do what's possible to save the character of Sheba altogether. Certainly my first priority!
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DARE you think I would do otherwise?????????????????????

epaddon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not, just wanted to see if you had some other ideas on how to make it work the right way. Wink
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Drum up the money somehow, and do it RIGHT!
Wink

epaddon

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, time to start another thread up again about the subject of this board! Smile

I have already made clear my reasons for answering YES to the question of this thread, but taking for granted the yes factor, there are I would admit, different ways of bringing about the inevitable pairing. And I would certainly reject the too fast pairing after the events of HOG, which I would see only as an occasion for them breaking the ice with a few dates and seeing how they feel about each other after that.

It can also be argued that they could stay an "item" without ever becoming sealed in the interests of maintaining their separate careers as warriors, though I think the two of them just have too much of a romantic streak at heart to stay in that kind of relationship long-term without getting sealed and "doing the right thing." Sheba I would see as less tolerant of that kind of relationship the way that Cassiopeia is tolerant of it in Starbuck for now.

And if sealing does come, then there are multiple ways of exploring whether Sheba would stay a warrior and for how long, or whether they would ever have children of their own. I think in this context, Sheba's character lends itself to the idea that *any* outcome could be well-explained within the context of her overall character. I've found myself going in different directions on this point in the multiplicity of fanfic universes I've created, though I admit I've become less enthralled with the idea of her giving up her career after marriage to keep Apollo happening. Sheba's pride in her skills I think would make her go crazy in that kind of confinement long term, and Apollo would be the one who would have to change his ways.

Okay, just some cubits of mine out on the table. Anyone else want to jumpstart this further? Wink
LZaza

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, which "ways" would Apollo have to change? You lost me there.
epaddon

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that Apollo has an instinctive prejudice against the idea of a married couple *both* being warriors (he clearly had some of that in him given his reaction to Serina's decision), then changing his ways would mean Apollo making concessions to let Sheba continue her career and him accepting that.
LZaza

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Serina already laid the groundwork there. I would think it wouldn't really come to a head until they started thinking about having a family, assuming two career driven officers--one essentially third in command and not having much time to devote elsewhere--would entertain the thought of having a family while still on the run from the Cylons and looking for Earth.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While your analysis of Sheba the Warrior is pretty bang-on, think of Sheba the woman. She is in love with Apollo, with all that entails. She is also intensely devoted to her father, and the idea of perpetuating his bloodline, especially in light of the uncertainty as to his survival, might decide her in favor of one over the other. She is a very complex and multi-sided personality, and I could see her deciding to play with the DNA for a while.
Then, back into the cockpit...

epaddon

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair assessment and all of this gets back to how whatever decision Sheba made, would ultimately be in character for her. It's hard to envision a decision of hers in this realm, be it quitting or staying on, that would be untrue to what kind of person she is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Main Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: