ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sheba: Her greatest strength?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Sheba: Her greatest strength? Reply with quote

OK, simple question. What do you see as Sheba's greatest strength, either as a military professional, or as a person?
mikedx
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Sheba's best strength as a warrior was her cool under fire, 100% business personality. This is a warrior that had Starbuck & Apollo under her sights and they couldn't break free. When the cylons were in the air, she didn't show any weakness. She stood toe to toe with guys and then some. Contrast this with the female pilots who were put on the fast track in Lost Planet of the Gods. Neither Apollo or Starbuck would have felt any manly pride in making sure she got easy assignments, they'd want her watching their six.

But I think Sheba's biggest strenth (and this wasn't developed) would be military leadership. Remember, she grew up under her father, Commander Cain. She would have followed in his footsteps, training at whatever the very best schools would be. She would also have learned leadership, tactics, etc from the "Living Legend" himself.

For her to have taken over the Pegasus in the DeSanto version wouldn't have been a real stretch. She was her daddie's girl, and the troops that would have died for her father would have been loyal to her as well.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love her being such a tomboy! Me too would like to have seen her develop in a more leading role as Colonel or Commander. At the time of filming there weren't that many strong female characters, especially in the military movies/series. Most continuation stories focus on further relationship with Apollo. I'd rather seen here break free of him and start working more on her career. Mike is right. With a father like Cain she must have the skills and character to have become a great leader like her father.

This all said I did also love the change and her showing her very vulnerable and more feminine side towards Count Iblis (War of the Gods) and Apollo (Hand of God).

Marcel

Last edited by MAD on Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
epaddon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Marcel, that would definitely put us on opposite sides of the fence! Wink To me, exploring her relationship with Apollo further post-HOG just has such an aura of rightness to it, though I'll agree that it should never be done in the context of weakening her own sense of pride in being a warrior. Longterm, if Apollo really wanted to have a relationship with Sheba, he'd have to right away accept the fact that she's going to keep being a warrior and putting her life on the line, or else it would never work.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddon wrote:
Well Marcel, that would definitely put us on opposite sides of the fence! Wink

I know! Smile I've looked at some of the fanfic stories (maybe not yours in particular) and most concentrate on the fleshing out the characters and their relationships. Also in Richard Hatch's stories I believe Starbuck ends up marrying Cassie, right? Well, I did like the drama in the show, but it were the adventure episodes that I loved: Gun on Ice Planet Zero, Lost Planet of the Gods, The Living Legend (of course). Those were the ones for me. My favorite episode is The Man with nine Lives though. Part Drama, part Action.

So if Sheba would end up with Apollo and still become Commander, that would be fine by me as well. But I think that Apollo being the son of a Commander as well, would have the pants on in the end and she'd end up bringing up their 5 babies while hubbie runs the ship. Smile

Marcel

Last edited by MAD on Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
mikedx
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the issues that Apollo had with Serina becoming a warrior? He HATED the idea. Now imagine a second season with Apollo & Sheba getting sealed. Would he have been against her going out on a life or death mission because he loved her, or let her go because she was a true warrior? It would have made an interesting episode seeing him fight with those feelings.
epaddon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd see Apollo more accepting in Sheba's case, ultimately, just by virtue of his respect for her ability. What he might do though, is insist on going with her. In fact, in having Apollo and Sheba eventually become sealed in the "second season" project Senmut and I (and two others) are doing, one thing I've had Sheba do is transfer into Apollo's squadron so that she and Apollo always work together from now on.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have like to have seen some competition as well. We're not sure what ever happened to Bojay, right? Though his relationship as her wingman was more like brother/sister, you never know. Even best friends could still look at each other differently and hook up after many years.

Transferring Sheba to Apollo's squadron would make him her direct superior officer and Sheba is not the kind of woman that will always follow his lead. If Serina turning viper pilot already gave Apollo headaches, I wonder how he could ever cope with her in his squadron (especially her being his wife!). How do you call a divorce? Unsealing? Wink
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedx wrote:
Remember the issues that Apollo had with Serina becoming a warrior? He HATED the idea. Now imagine a second season with Apollo & Sheba getting sealed. Would he have been against her going out on a life or death mission because he loved her, or let her go because she was a true warrior? It would have made an interesting episode seeing him fight with those feelings.

I think Apollo would have learned his lesson. His opposition only strengthened Serina's push to join the service, and he lost her. Now Sheba is already in uniform, but I think now, he will just let nature take it's course. No sense interfering with what will be.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, our second season project did address the question of how Bojay had to (forgive me for using this expression) "deal with it" regarding Apollo and Sheba's relationship. Smile I saw it as a case where Bojay kept any feelings he had for Sheba to himself (Pegasus warriors I think would have decided it was too risky to make a move and risk the possibility of Cain coming down on them) while Sheba, more interested in how being aboard the Pegasus allowed her to repair her relationship with her father, only saw her relationship with Bojay as purely fraternal.

I didn't see Sheba commanding a squadron already, so in effect moving into Apollo's squadron wouldn't amount to a change in her status aboard the Galactica.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I can see many a male Warrior aboard the Pegasus drooling over her from afar, but wisely deciding that the wrath of Cylon was preferrable to the wrath of Daddy. As to moving up the ranks, I don't see her as a crasher, expecting a sudden run up the ladder. On a new ship, she'd just work to settle in, and see what happens. Make oneself indispensible.
Which she does.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Birmingham where both Anne and Jack where attending the Q&A and I popped the question to Jack. "Why did you never make a move on Sheba? You seemed like a team from start". His reply: "Are you kiddin'? With a father-in-law like that !?!? Smile

At Screenheroes one month later I asked the same question again, but now to Anne.

MD: You started off with a lot of new actors, Jack Stauffer being one of them. Why did you never get hooked up with Bojay on the Pegasus before then? It was like you two were kind of a match, coming on the set. Why did you never hook up on the Pegasus? It seemed like immediately that you turned to Richard.

AL: We were just partners. We were just flying partners, and that was one of the things I loved about the character of Sheba. Sheba was a warrior. She was equal to the other warriors, and gender wasn't an issue.

Also earlier in the interview we discussed Second Season and what in her opinion would happen in her realtionship to Apollo

MD: And I even think that if there was a second season, you would have evolved more, like in the last episode, when you were getting romantically involved.

AL: Yeah, and you know what I just found out? They were going to kill me in the second season. They were going to kill me!

MD: Oh wow!

AL: Poor Richard! I mean he gets a new girl every year and they kill her at the end.

ME: How were they going to kill you off?

AL: I don't know. I have no idea. I would have fought it. I would have gone "You can't kill me! Please don't kill me!" (laughing)

The full Screenheroes interview can be read in "media" section, but there you have it: No, more Sheba for Season Two! I still have to talk to Glen Larson again to get this (and a lot of other stuff) confirmed. Writer Terrence McDonnell or Jim Carlson would also be good but we have a tough time tracking them. No idea if Jim Carlson is even still alive... But Terrence had the best memory of the two anyhow so I loved to talk to him one day and get some untied ends solved!
mikedx
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that I recall talking to her about at Screenheroes was that she said her character's weakness was social skills. She had a hard time expressing her feelings.

Which makes sense, as she was probably spending all her time training, and only being raised by her father, a guy whose idea of social skills is give orders and reward his crew. And like Stauffer said, who would be crazy enough to ask Cain's daughter out to have him as a father-in-law.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedx wrote:
One of the things that I recall talking to her about at Screenheroes was that she said her character's weakness was social skills. She had a hard time expressing her feelings.

Which makes sense, as she was probably spending all her time training, and only being raised by her father, a guy whose idea of social skills is give orders and reward his crew. And like Stauffer said, who would be crazy enough to ask Cain's daughter out to have him as a father-in-law.

Cain did have one other social skill; blasting Cylons. Probably came in handy out there!

LZaza

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm behind in this thread!! After reading, I'd say Sheba's greatest strenght must be the depth of her character, in that we all see so many possibilities as to a future for her. I lean more towards her ending up more career oriented than family oriented, but I'd say that's a pretty predictable path for any dedicated warrior when they're being pursued by Cylons. I really like some of what Mike said at the beginning of this about Sheba following more in Cain's footsteps and that her training would have probably reflected that, much like Apollo's probably did. I think she'd be that way inclined too.

Actually, it's interesting that we don't seem to have the same discussions over the futures of other characters. Does that make them more predictable, or have we just not crossed that bridge yet? That might make an interesting thread. Character paths.

Could be fun too. Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Main Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: