ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battlestar Galactica comics!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monolith21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Battlestar Galactica comics! Reply with quote

As some of you may already know, Dynamite Entertainment has recently published a new series of comic books based on the original Battlestar Galactica. Unlike others in the entertainment industry, they have embraced the original along side the current Galactica universe based on the series airing on Sci Fi. Unlike some thought...the fans can take it. Their current original series books take place during the first season of Battlestar and are a great companion to the series.

Now Dynamite has expressed their interest in continuing the original Battlestar Galactica story beyond the first season! A fan lead petition has been established for the fans to show our support for this idea. Let your voices be heard! Sign the petition!

Then we need to start a petition for them to bring back the Pegasus and give it to Sheba!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/BeyondTheHandOfGodGalactica/[/url]

http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com/htmlfiles/c-Classic_Battlestar_Galactica.html
Dawg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find my signature and message on Page One of this petition, and I urge anyone who claims to be a fan of Battlestar Galactica - or of Sheba, the character Anne played - to show Dynamite there really is a market for more TOS Galactica.

I am
Dawg
Cool

I'm at: Dawg's House
LauretteSpang.com
epaddon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already signed it when it first came up, but speaking just for myself I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to do any good. Dynamite's conduct with regard to handling Galactica as a comic book has been the most atrocious handling of the property I have ever seen anyone resort to. From the beginning, they brought a condescending approach to the material, rooted in the belief that Galactica is all about FX sequences and cliched templates, which explains their mindnumbingly DUMB decision to have all of their stories locked in an endless time rut of taking place during the first season episodes. That means we *never* get to see any forward momentum off the Hand of God, and it also means we never get to see Sheba or hardly ever at all.

After objections were raised with the Dynamite crew on their message boards, the moderators in charge of the project behaved in an abominable fashion in which they proceeded to brush off the objections so many of us had to this approach, in which they seemed wholly ignorant of the fact that doing an endless stream of stories set during the first season means you inevitably undermine the integrity of the episodes themself, they then said that if we produced a petition with 10,000 signatures then *maybe* they'd listen.

The gents at Dynamite in short decided to use a stacked deck, because they know that however resoruceful some people (and I say this with admiration for Martok, the one behind the petition) are in putting up a petition, the bottom line is that most of us are tired of having to sign petitions to prove that continuation of the storyline is what matters most to us. We've put out so much effort into Galactica fandom for the last 25 years that I don't think we should have to prove ourselves any longer on this point. If anything, Dynamite should be the ones who ought to collect 10,000 signatures based on the question, "Would you rather see continuation stories or stories stuck in a perpetual rut?" to justify their approach to this comics series.

When it became apparent that some of us weren't going to go away with our objections, the people at Dynamite then took to censoring their message board and engaging in bizarre ad homenim attacks on the fanbase by dragging in the unrelated issue of the debate over the Ron Moore show as part of the equation, when in fact it has no relevance to the issue at all. But evidently, it would seem that the gents at Dynamite are heavily influenced by Ron Moore's belief that TOS must be seen as a second-rate property, if it's to as a consequence be given the second-rate treatment in which the characters will always be back to their one-dimensional templates by story's end (and where Starbuck will just have a new girlfriend who dies at the end of every story arc) and obsession over FX sequences is the first priority.

Well speaking for myself, no thank you to that. Dynamite doesn't get one penny of my money for their comic book until they commit to continuation stories. And in all candor, if this effort fails I will not be shedding a single tear for it.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already wrote my opinion on these comics (in relation to all other comic series brought out till now) 3 months ago in my review on them at the GALACTICA.TV website. It follows the statements above and then some... You can read it here:

Dynamite's "Classic Battlestar Galactica" review

This was written long before any fan effort and I even send the link to it to Dynamite. They replied that they won't link "negative reviews like that" on their website. I don't see it as negative, but more as something from a fan, that the writers should take notice off. The review is read about 5000 times already, so at least some took notice of it alright! Wink
epaddon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to bump a thread other than quote ones! This comic series has thus far been something less than a half glass. The initial series which is up to issue #5 now is proving again and again why stories set within the episodes don't work, and only open up headaches galore in terms of contradicting the episodes themselves.

OTOH, the "Cylon Apocalypse" series has been confirmed by its author as being a post-HOG story. That's the good news. The bad news is that he isn't really grounding this firmly enough, and he also has no intention of building on anything concerning Apollo-Sheba in the storyline. It's basically just wall-to-wall action which is okay but when you don't address dangling subplots from the end of HOG, you're ultimately coming up a bit short. That said, I would recommend the rest of us to give it a shot for now.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not much of a comics fan, but character development is a must, in any format.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
epaddon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but I think if you find this series locally in some comics store, it's worth a look for the time being.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhmm....

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
epaddon

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still yet to find the second and third issues of this series, but so far the feedback is sounding good and the author even posted at Colonial Fleets to apologize for a continutity lapse that cropped up concerning the Galactica going to "light speed" as defined in the series, forgetting how that had happened in EIT.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever find it, EP?

epaddon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I did, Sen, and my reaction was not that favorable when they came out ultimately. The problem with this story was that the author was really driven ultimately in terms of seeing Galactica as kiddie-action fare where all we got was wall-to-wall action and NOTHING in terms of meaningful character development, nor was there any basic familiarity with what had gone on in previous episodes of the series. This has always been the thing that has infuriated me the most about people who put out Galactica comics and novels, the fact that they just DON'T SEEM TO CARE about the fact that Galactica is a series that built off previous episodes and where it's NECESSARY to be familiar with what's gone on before. They literally insult the intelligence of the fanbase by thinking all we remember is action fare and that these story details mattered not to us that they can thus right a disposable action story that doesn't advance much of anything ultimately.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More concerned with making their own mark, rather than in being faithful to the original.

epaddon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And evidently their G80 comic book, which I refused to read was more of the same kind of clueless junk on their part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: