ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VS2 FANFIC site down

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: VS2 FANFIC site down Reply with quote

I just discovered that Robert Hanzcyk's site is down. Anyone know anything about this? It just says "Domain Name Expired."
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
epaddon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately I have the entire VS backed up on my hard drive, as well as my own stories, so I know they're not in danger of being lost, but I too hope that Robert gets the thing straightened out. "Domain expired" means that he's evidently missed a payment or something (I plead ignorance to how this thing works), but it wouldn't mean that he's lost all the website content as a result.
epaddon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fixed. The domain just needed to be renewed and Robert has done so.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good!

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He must have missed a lot, since I get warnings of expiring domains about 3 months in advance and every month after that (including a warning every week in the last month) and I have all on automatic renewal.

But even then you needed not to worry. We have our domains hosted on a different spot as where we registered the domain names. So when the name expires it simply means reregistering it and linking it again to the data. And even when you you have both at the same company, the hosting companies will keep backups of your stuff for about 2 months after it expires... but only the OWNER can claim that data. If he feels necessary not to retrieve it, it's really gone (though you/anybody can pick up a lot from it by Google cache if you/they want to).
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such are the complexities that explain why I'll never have my own website and am glad there are more qualified people to put up the good sites themselves! Smile
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, it sounds more complex than it is. Anyone with basic knowlegde of Word can make a website. Better, you can even save Word-files as webpages and upload these and you're done making your first webpage.

I'll bet if you sit down for it, yo can make a decent webpage in a day. I self-thought myself everything I know now. I started out with simple WYSIWYG editors and a small 20 page booklet on making webpages (for dummies or something like that), then I looked how others did theirs and what specific commands did what on the website and started experimenting with that. This grew into trying to figure out the more complex stuff and I think I can make a decent page with my avarage knowledge.

It helps of course to have some basic knowlegde of Photoshop to make banners and images and such, but even for that there are people to be found who will gladly design you some basics because they love doing that.

So it's not all that complicated. I think setting it up is really not important, but good content is. So many people make websites which are basically copying others or try to invent the wheel over and over again. Only look at BSG websites. When Mike and I said we were setting up a BSG website it was meet by many of the big fans with some contempt as if we also now wanted our own and why we simply couldn't join others. Well, what we wanted never had been done by others or even tried by others. We wanted to make one about the poeple in front of and behind the camera of all BSG series. Not just the 10 main cast and the creators, but all. From the voice actors to the setdressers and anything in between. They have interesting and new stories to tell no fan has ever heard or read. Dirk and Richard told their story a dozen times. It's really interesting, but it's just a tiny part of the bigger picture. We wanted that and are doing it now on GALACTICA.TV.

But even for actors/actresses sites I see a lot of lack on information on most sites. Writing 10 lines of biography, copying the list from IMDb, making a gallery with two dozen photos and never updating it ever again, is NOT a good website. That's something you visit once and put in your favorites only to visit again like a year later. Of course, we're blessed that Anne and fans like you feed us new with new info to put up, but we try to update and expand as much as we can. Smile
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, one has to have a reason WHY to have a website.

MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senmut wrote:
Of course, one has to have a reason WHY to have a website.

Doesn't any fanfiction writer automatically have a reason for a website? A website is a great way publish your work and to reach an audience worldwide...
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When so many udder ones are available, why bother???

Very Happy

epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we're glad to do our part in providing things to update the site, like with the newspaper articles.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddon wrote:
Well, we're glad to do our part in providing things to update the site, like with the newspaper articles.

We haven't heard back from Anne yet (since she's moving and a bit busy now), but I know she'll love reading those articles from 1958 (since I don't even know if she has ever seen those).
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving? Is she heading off somewhere to do a movie or what?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: