ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sheba killed in Year Two!?!?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truthfully, if there was to be any real hope for a great Season 2, I think it would have only come about had Larson in effect turned control of Galactica over to Don Bellisario. Bellisario after all singlehandedly wrote and directed Hand Of God, and it's also no coincidence IMO that his script for "Baltar's Escape" as opposed to Larson's for the other two Terra episodes, comes off a lot better. I think Bellisario was showing a lot more creative instinct at the end, whereas Larson seemed totally spent and more on auto-pilot.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have a good point here. Too be honest: I think Bellisario had the better scripts over the entire run of the show and later realised what an influence he could have had (or already did have) on the show. I'm a fan of Glen up to the point that he was a genius creator of series and ideas. My entire youth is filled with memories of series he created. On the other hand I think he was a bad writer. If I look at my least favorite episodes, mostly they we're written by Glen. The pilot was good in the sense of the initial idea, but as a script I always found it was way too long and not a good solid story was being told here. Sure, 3 hour stories are fine, but this one missed the built up to a grant finale. For all I cared they could have skipped the whole Ovion part on the planet. Let's just chase the basestar and get it destroyed.

When Larson finally took control and wanted to write every episode of Galactica 1980 himself, see what happened. I think Galactica 1980 wouldn't have been all that bad if they had filmed some of the episodes (not written by Glen) that are now unfilmed. The only good episode he wrote was "The Return of Starbuck"
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GL also had endless interference from the Nitwerk, on GAL80. All else said, that did not help.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
epaddon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen's best teleplay is "Living Legend" IMO. "War Of The Gods" is a strange case where Part 1 is flawless, and then suddenly in Part 2 the quality of the writing drops off noticably (in particular the fact that the Cylons just disappear. Baltar's capture should have invited a counterattack from Lucifer, but this never happens and no explanation is given for why the Cylons are just gone until HOG). And then in the two Terra episodes Larson wrote the script weaknesses are even more apparent.
mikedx
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I loved all of Larson's shows, including Manimal. But everytime you hear about people who worked in the shows, they all say that Glen was never around.

So did he have great ideas initially and turn them over to other people? Or lose interest and run it into the ground?
epaddon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He certainly did turn over the series that had longer lifespans to others. "McCloud", "Quincy" and "Knight Rider" I think he had no real involvement in after their first year or so, and I know he had just about nothing to do on the second year of "Buck Rogers" with its awful revamped format. For each show he'd have an "Executive Producer" credit all the time, but you'd never see him doing scripts by then.

"Galactica" needed Bellisario long-term more than it needed Larson IMO.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to speak to Bellisario one day and ask him about his influence on Galactica and how much Larson let him decide, because I do think Bellisario might even have been more in control than just writing/directing some episodes.
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other people besides Bellisario who were in a position to influence things were Terence McDonnell and Jim Carlson who wrote several episodes and were the official story editors of the show. They recall how Larson was getting sloppy in remembering things that were being agreed on in terms of time units etc. but Larson by that point, as they recalled, was no longer caring as much.

McDonnell, when I saw him reminiscing at the 15 Yahren Con in 1993 (on the videotape of that event I received since I wasn't there) had the most fantastic power of recall of anyone I'd ever seen associated with Galactica.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I have those tapes as well. Carlson could hardly remember anything but McDonnell still knew exactly what every detail was about. He went on and on into many, many details and it amazed me how much he still knew. I wonder if he still does (since we're now another 13 years later). Would be great to talk to him too, but I've never been able to find him (Bellisario we did find but never asked to interview).
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tapes are gold by the way... 8 or 9 hours of the best panels I've ever seen. Also loved the one with Larson and Dykstra. Too bad Lorne Greene was already gone by then. Would have been fantastic to hear him talk about the series. Anne looked really cute on those tapes... short hair.

These tapes are 10x better than the 2003 DVD. Was there a tape of the 1998 con? I never saw anything of that. I never attended even one, since I live across the globe. Only until I had internet I heard of these conventions. I wanted to attend the 2003 con but couldn't get the $1,500 together which it would have cost me to get there, plus the hotel and all. Airfares have dramatically dropped the past years. Especially since NorthWestern Airlines and the Dutch KLM are one company now. I'll attend the one in two years... Better, I hope to help organize it when the time comes! Smile
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any clues as to why GL seems to have phased out on the show?

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think that's his general nature. Glen doesn't really stay major league committed to the shows he creates in terms of writing more and more episodes or exerting the real level of hands on control in the way that a Roddenberry did on Trek, and instead tends to then go on to something else. Galactica was an exception in that he kept writing scripts, but he was I think, looking ahead to stuff like Buck Rogers by the time the season was winding down and wasn't thinking of how to keep things consistent on Galactica (in truth, a series creator really NEVER does that kind of work).
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like Irwin Allen & Lost In Space.

epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Allen only cared about concept and not credibility of stories. A creator who cared about the tone of his shows would have put a halt to the goofy drift Voyage To The Bottom of The Sea went through after its second season, or would have told Jonathan Harris to knock off the comedy.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not completely true. Some creators think of a storyline to follow, years ahead. Sure, it will be filled in a bit different over time, but they tend to stick by their story over time. Look a what they did for Star Wars. Completing the story over decades. They of course added new stuff to episodes I/II/III but the general storyline for that was partly thought out back in the 70s, since they still had to fit to the story told in IV/V/VI.

The X-Files is another good example of that. Morgan and Wong also had thought of some things long before they happened. I'd love to read their Year Two script on Space: Above and Beyond!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Main Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: