ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mixed Messages
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose one can say that those "pressure suits" which we only saw female warriors wearing under their uniforms (when Starbuck is stripping his uniform off in Saga after the "He's going to go crazy!!!" declaration from Tigh he doesn't have one) is the female counterpart to the triad unifom.

Alas. we never saw Sheba in one though. Sad Only the Athena and Serina fans were rewarded in that area.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked Herb's story on how his costume wasn't even finished yet when he started on the pilot and that's why that had him shoot the scene where he's in bed half-naked... Functional... (Tough they did cut the scene with the half-naked Starbuck in the lancing tube with Cassie and replaced it with a dressed version)

Just as these G-suits. You never saw any of the male pilots wearing one, but they sure as Hell showed the ones the girls had on. That was probably on the edge for a family show. Even more for the scene with Maren where she's undressing in the locker room and they had to cut (lucky for us it was included again 25 years later).
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Mad we were both thinking the same thing simultaneously regarding the pressure suits! Laughing
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was posted at the same time but for me it was 1:11 am and for you, I guess, it was at least 6 hours earlier! It's a small world after all...
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though to clarify one thing, Maren's undressed state was part of the original ABC broadcast and was always included in the repeats of the pilot episode over the years. Only in the theatrical cut was it missing.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddon wrote:
Though to clarify one thing, Maren's undressed state was part of the original ABC broadcast and was always included in the repeats of the pilot episode over the years. Only in the theatrical cut was it missing.

Ah, I didn't knew that. But since the only film I watched over and over again until 2003 was probably the theatrical version it must have slipped my mind that Maren was half naked in the original episode I saw when I was 8 years old. Smile
LZaza

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the scene that a lot of fanfiction writers interpreted as Starbuck asking Athena to marry him. A bit of a leap, but interesting take all the same.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starbuck and sealing, that's a big leap allright!
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see it as Starbuck at the very least asking for a solid, long-term committment even if it wasn't a proposal. In light of "Take The Celestra" we can interpret that Starbuck had just come back from concluding that Aurora, whom he was likely still going out with on occasion, was dead, and so shaken by that, as well as the rest of the Destruction, he felt this need to reach out to Athena for something more stable, but Athena was too traumatized to respond.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, when seen like that... Still, Starbuck had much deeper feelings for Cassie at that time already.
LZaza

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, he barely knew Cassie then. I can't even recall if he'd met her at this point, but regardless at the end of Saga he certainly had a physical relationship with her, probably because he found in Cassie the passion that could let him--and her--forget everything they had just gone through with the Destruction. I agree he was reaching out to Athena in the locker room, in reaction to losing everything, most poignantly Aurora. Whether he was looking for a long-term relationship, or just a connection with someone at that point that he could hold onto--which is ultimately what he got from Cassie--is totally up to interpretation.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm mixing up here. I was thinking of time of "Take The Celestra", but we're talking about his relationship with Aurora before the Destruction.
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The locker room scene happens before Starbuck even meets Cassiopeia. And I think you can make a strong case that the reason why he instantly gravitated toward Cassie was because the rejection of Athena in the locker room, at the one moment where Starbuck found the strength to try and open up, stung him so much he felt the need to find someone else on the rebound and fast.
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truthfully, I never liked the invention of Aurora and that back story angle in TTC because to me it's the one item from way out of leftfield that just does not jibe with what was established earlier. In fact, it seemed to me that the only way you could concoct that past with Aurora was to forget all about Starbuck's pre-Destruction relationship with Athena, which at that point in the series, I think the producers were really trying to do as much as possible.

BUT....since TTC is "canon" we must reconcile the matter of Aurora and so IMO I think the best explanation is that Starbuck was not in a mega-serious relationship with Aurora at the time but was rather in a scenario where Aurora at the time of Destruction was in the same position Athena was early in the series (old flame, but not ready to cut all the ties) and Athena was in the Cassie role at that point of more steady girlfriend and who Starbuck was spending more time with.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides, the Destruction only just happened. When Starbuck aproached Athena he couldn't have known for 100% sure Aurora was saved or not. The Fleet was just gathering and they were counting their losses. I think the realtionship with Aurora wasn't that deep at all (maybe it became that later when he started thinking about it; you miss more what you thought you had, you only remember the good parts). Wouldn't you look first for the woman you really loved in stead of going after the next one and opening yourself up like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Main Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: