ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mixed Messages
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LZaza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Mixed Messages Reply with quote

I think we all agree that Sheba was a strong-willed, talented warrior who could hold her own in a cockpit against the boys . . . but now and then those little discrepancies pop up in an episode. The absurdly long, manicured nails. The high heeled boots she could barely run in. Yep, some definite inconsistencies that make you say, "I don't think so . . .".
epaddon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never noticed anything wrong with the nails and boots myself. Smile

I think my least favorite Sheba moment was her "I won't give up" line or whatever it was after the climactic explosion in "Fire In Space" and they weren't certain whether Starbuck and Apollo had made it or not. That to me was the most out of character moment for her, and when I did my FIS adaptation (the first one I ever did many yahrens ago) changing that bit was one of my first priorities.
LZaza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how about you grow your nails and put on some high heels, and then come back and tell me how well that would work for a warrior. Wink Wink Oh, then take a picture and submit it as your newest avatar. Pretty please.

But, yes, I can see how the nails and heels would fit with the decidedly feminine image she also portrays. . . and that certain distracted fans wouldn't notice it as a curiosity. Rolling Eyes

As for Fire In Space, I still find it difficult to believe that one light-weight lieutenant pushing off of a piece of metal and propelling himself forward, colliding with his Captain (shouldn't that change his trajectory?), could still get them out of range of the blast in time in zero gravity.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddon wrote:
I never noticed anything wrong with the nails and boots myself. Smile

I think my least favorite Sheba moment was her "I won't give up" line or whatever it was after the climactic explosion in "Fire In Space" and they weren't certain whether Starbuck and Apollo had made it or not. That to me was the most out of character moment for her, and when I did my FIS adaptation (the first one I ever did many yahrens ago) changing that bit was one of my first priorities.

Actually, the quote was "I refuse to believe that!"

And it was a very Sheba moment, IMNSHO. Totally in character.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LZaza wrote:
Well, how about you grow your nails and put on some high heels, and then come back and tell me how well that would work for a warrior. Wink Wink Oh, then take a picture and submit it as your newest avatar. Pretty please.

But, yes, I can see how the nails and heels would fit with the decidedly feminine image she also portrays. . . and that certain distracted fans wouldn't notice it as a curiosity. Rolling Eyes

As for Fire In Space, I still find it difficult to believe that one light-weight lieutenant pushing off of a piece of metal and propelling himself forward, colliding with his Captain (shouldn't that change his trajectory?), could still get them out of range of the blast in time in zero gravity.

You are forgetting the forward momentum of the Galactica, after they had pushed off the hull.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
LZaza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know which way the Galactica was going in relationship to the boys?
And I meant that using Newton's laws of physics, or one of them, --ie"with every action there is an equal and opposite reaction", --hitting Apollo could very well have sent Starbuck back the way he came instead of propelling them both further into space and away from the explosion. Hmm?
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We see one of them push off from the hull w/his feet. Either to the side, or astern, either way the ship's forward momentum would carry it quickly away from them. Since we don't exactly which direction, we have to make a bit of a guess, Isaac.

LZaza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if that was so, why didn't the Galactica pull away from Apollo before Starbuck could get to him . . . unless the "push off the hull" propulsion system is much more powerful than I think it is. Very Happy
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One lost their grip on the hull, the other deliberatly pushed off the hull. Different forces, and at different points in the ship's flight. The explosion may have played a factor, but we don't know enough to say exactly how much.

LZaza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we might as well agree to disagree on this one. However, even you have to admit that the lines holding Apollo and Starbuck were far too visible. Could have spent a few more cubits on special effects for that, not to mention the cheesy spacesuits.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No disagreement about the wires. I don't suppose they ever envisioned digital transfer or DVDs when the ep was made. Even so, the folks who did the transfers could have popped an extra cubit or two to clean up the image.

MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we go back on topic?

I NEVER noticed the high heels and long nails, but I'll be sure looking for them now... Twisted Evil

Someone (female) once said to me how cute Starbuck looked in the black leather suit and I argued that he wasn't even wearing one... Sheba and Cassie had black leather suits, not the guys, right? I really had to watch back the episode to conclude they did also wear black leather suits. See, didn't notice that either... Sometimes your mind plays tricks on you. You're so obsessed by one thing, you completely not notice the rest anymore! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Yes, I admit, guilty here... I like women in (leather) cat suits. I even bought the 19 disc "Ultimate Emma Peel Collection" from The Avengers, ESPECIALLY for that... Wink

I even voted Anne for the part of Emma Peel opposite Patrick Macnee in The Avengers in "most wanted part you like to see Anne in" in another topic.

But hey, what's wrong being a beautiful, sexy woman and equal to the guys at the same time? I loved seeing her in uniform being tough as nails, but also showing up in a gorgeous dress once and a while. I even think a feminine touch to her appearance in uniform makes her stand out in a positive way (like she's almost equal to the guys but these tiny extras even make her even better).
LZaza

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I agree that there's nothing wrong with being a sexy woman and also being a damn fine warrior, I just don't think that long fingernails and high heeled boots go with the functional aspects of being a Colonial Warrior. Obviously, it worked for the male viewers.

And of course Starbuck was wearing a black leather suit too!! I actually liked him in his clandestine outfit in the Long Patrol. Oh, and the Young Lords had a nice costume too.

Did you notice that the guys and women wore different boots at all? See, I always thought the boots the guys wore were quite cool. Turns out they were motocross boots dyed brown for the series. But the ladies were distinctly different. Emma Peel is a good comparison. Now, I noticed the ladies boots on War of the Gods. There's a couple scenes where Sheba is running. Or trying to. Razz One was on the Ship of Lights where she runs to Apollo when the celestial beings bring him back to life. The other was when she descended the ravine to catch up to the boys. Definitely, that run is affected by the high heels, cos . . . she runs like a girl. Wink
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course we male Galactica fans never bother commenting on the triad outfits and whether they represented the most functional forms of sports competition attire given how much the female fans love them. Smile
LZaza

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh. Touche!
I agree, one of the more amusing costumes . . . and enjoyable. Laughing

I do recall though someone starting up a women's triad league in the Virtual Season . . . perhaps with the intent to get some of those lovely ladies into the aforementioned triad constume? I'm guessing it wasn't Maggie . . . Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Main Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: