ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did anybody actually want them to find Earth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LZaza

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Did anybody actually want them to find Earth? Reply with quote

I have to admit, I found the journey to Earth so much more interesting as a plot than the actual idea of the Colonials finding Earth. Maybe it had something to do with Galactica 1980, or maybe not. And now as a fanfiction writer, I find the idea of them getting to Earth almost disheartening, as though when the journey ended, so would the fun. Thoughts?
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can see your point. It is the journey that gives us so much fun, both on the screen and in FanFic. Even so, in finding Earth et al, one can come up with lots of stories to tell. (Shameless plug for Culture Shock!)
But, who says we gotta find Earth right now???

Very Happy

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some progress should be made though from time to time. Otherwise it will become like Gilligan's Island where they're constantly trying to get of the island but never succeed. Or you forget about the whole thing and only concentrate on the characters (and mention it from time to time, which would be my choice)). Or you actively search, but at least show some progress in finding new leads (but you'll have to built this up from scratch to keep audiences interested).

Still I found it strange that on the original series that Apollo and Starbuck both stranded on several planets with human life where the fleet could have easily settled but that option wasn't even considered (I do know there was an unfilmed episode called "The Mutiny" that discussed the option).

That's what I found good about New Galactica. They didn't find Earth yet, but thought they could settle on an habitable planet (which turned out to be a bad pick). What I didn't get was why they were still living in tents after a full year, plus why they settled in a mud pool in stead of near clean water and some forest to built houses with. And I also found it ended to quickly and they now ended up in space again... fleeing from the Cylons, looking for Earth... (this is a serious discussion, so no bashing on Ron Moore or making fun of the new series, I'm just giving an example here).
LZaza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they didn't opt to settle on a new planet because of the 'fleeing from the Cylon tyranny' part. The Young Lords was the perfect example where the Colonial Warriors invite the settlers to join them, but they decline, perferring to continue the battle on their own ground/terms. I wonder, in retrospect, what happened to these pockets of settlers when the Cylons passed by pursuing the Fleet. Would they have been systematically eradicated, or ignored as 'not worth the effort'.

As for the new Galactica, have to admit I don't follow it, but all your points are valid. If they opted to settle, seems they should have sent a few boy scout types along to do it right. Wink
Dawg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The journey is the story. The escape - dare I say the Exodus - in search of Earth. The trials and tribulations on the trail, with the enemy in overwhelming numbers in hot pursuit. (In other words, it's "try to settle and you will be overrun and die.")

Once they find Earth, story over. Perhaps new chapters could be written (see Martok2112's fanfic "Dark Exodus" for a superb example of that) - but the main premise ends.

So, no - I don't want them to find Earth. Find signs they're on the right trail, fine - but grow the characters through the trials of the journey.

Now - the only reason the GINO colonials settled was so that Moore & company could make more anti-US Iraq parallels that they couldn't do in space - there could not be "occupied" spaceships. After all, this tripe is supposed to "make us think" about current events.

(Oh - I should warn you I have a rather low opinion of that show, it's producers and their ability to tell a story, and most of the actors.) Wink

I am
Dawg
Cool

I'm at: Dawg's House
LauretteSpang.com
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not alone in your opprobrium, Dawg. AFAIC, that thing posing as Galactica, aka GINO, is utter dreck. Moore has no creativity at all. He is a parasite who steals the ideas and work of others, and turns gold into garbage, like some reverse Rumplestiltskin. It makes GAL80 look like a Shakespearean masterpiece.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAD wrote:
this is a serious discussion, so no bashing on Ron Moore or making fun of the new series, I'm just giving an example here.

HEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLOOOO?!?!?! What wasn't clear in this sentence? I know your opinions on the new series, hence the request. I just brought it up for the sake of argument, I wasn't making a statement about the new series, it's producers or it's actors nor did I ask for your opinions on it (I even specifically asked NOT to react to that).

Dawg, sure, fine. I can see Ron Moore's intention, but I'm wasn't bringing it up for that. Why only react to this while I also mentioned the unfilmed script "The Mutiny" from TOS that proposes the same thing (and I can tell you... at that time, it wasn't Iraq related Wink). So can we continue on this then in stead of TNS... I guess you're all familiar with that story, otherwise read back here on Cylon.org Twisted Evil

I just wondered why TOS they never settled (only to be found by Cylons and run again). And not just for one episodes. I'd make it a nice arc over like 3 episodes. It would have been some great stories and I could even see this worked out as a spin-off in stead of Galactica 1980 (since it would be much cheaper to film as well, but I guess Glen Larson had to convince the suits and the fact they had actually found Earth was what did it for them).

Okay, I wouldn't settle on Ice Planet Zero or Antilla (the Young Lords) since it's occupied/found by the Cylons already. But why not settle on the planet Sectar (Magnificent Warriors) that has a nice agricultural settlement already or the wild west like planet Equellus (Lost Warrior). I could even see them settle on Paradeen (Greeting From Earth) or Terra (Experiment in Terra)
mikedx
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that there should have been some progression. Like when they got the coordinates of Earth. We could have seen them having to go to different planets or such to get more info about where they were going or some other tasks that had to be done first. But I never wanted them to actually get there. Or if they did, find out that Earth was technologically underdeveloped and they had to leave for fear that they'd draw the cylons there.

Dawg, I agree about the reasoning of why they landed on the planet, but it was more about Nazi & the Jewish community under the occupation (let the Jews police the Jews) that Iraq & the US. At least that's what I thought Moore said. I read that Moore & Eick go to Disney in between seasons to discuss what they are going to do in the upcoming seasons. Can you imagine them walking past Mickey & say "You know what we need..."

And MAD, if you didn't want them to bring up their opinions about the new series, you shouldn't have used it as an example. There are plenty of other comparisons to be drawn.

I had hoped that we could have avoided discussions about the new series on this site. Anne isn't in it, hasn't watched it, has no opinion of it.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedx wrote:
And MAD, if you didn't want them to bring up their opinions about the new series, you shouldn't have used it as an example. There are plenty of other comparisons to be drawn.

I had hoped that we could have avoided discussions about the new series on this site. Anne isn't in it, hasn't watched it, has no opinion of it.

Okay, it was probably a bad call. I should have sticked to the TOS unfilmed "The Mutiny" script and nobody would have made the link to TNS. The settlement of TNS was the first that came to mind (and I knew it probably would put a stick in the mud, hence the remark). You can't even pick a simple example with creating a discussion about something completely different...

It's the same when I ask them what they think of television today in general and they'd also pick it up to bash on TNS...
Dawg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAD, you kind of put yourself between a rock and a hard place on that one.

Wink

It's kind of hard NOT to make the link, given that most of us became fans of Anne through her role as Sheba back in 1978.

Mike, I put little credence in anything Moore or eIck say - they're trying to diffuse the talk about how anti-American their message is. From the get-go they've been trying to paint the US as the bad guys in the War on Terror. These "Cylons" are a threat of the "Colonials" own making, while portraying the "Cylons" as religious fanatics - US vs. Al Qaida with Al Qaida as the righteous entities, striking back at their oppressors. Examples of this kind of message run all through the series.

MAD, being from outside the US, your perspective will be different from those of us who live here. I don't expect you to see as insulting a message since it's not your country being insulted.

And, gentlemen, that is the last word I will say about GINO on this forum.

To return to the exact subject of this thread, I think there would be options to settle that should be explored. But, as I said, the journey itself is the story, they are overwhelmingly outnumbered by their enemies who want the human race exterminated, so stopping would be foolish unless and until they reach a place where defenses are already in place to help defeat their pursuers.

So, again - unless you have a story like Martok's ready to go, keep Earth somewhere down the trail.

I am
Dawg
Cool

I'm at: Dawg's House
LauretteSpang.com
LZaza

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cylons are religious fanatics???? Interesting programming.

I wasn't even aware there was supposed to be a political message with the new series. I just didn't like them snapping an infant's neck in the premiere for no apparent reason except shock value, and pretty much stopped watching at that point. Oh, and Apollo was an asshole, Tigh was a drunk, and Boomer was a Cylon. I could have lived with Starbuck being a woman since she still seemed to be the best pilot around, and was otherwise still in character with the cigar smoking, playing cards, etc. Sorry Dirk. Oh, and the Raiders were cool and so were the Cylons.

And somewhere along on the way to Earth . . . (staying on topic) Wink
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when your page is empty, you reach for the filler.

Yes, the journey is the whole shebang. Finding 'lil ol oit' must remain way down the road.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: