ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New Battlestar Galactica...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: The New Battlestar Galactica... Reply with quote

I've seen that Richard Hatch from the old series has a recurring role on the new series. And there are rumours that other cast members of the old series could be making appearances in the future. I wonder if Anne Lockhart has been approached to perform a role in the new series.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, she told them to go take a long walk on a short landing bay.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: The New Battlestar Galactica... Reply with quote

Brad wrote:
I've seen that Richard Hatch from the old series has a recurring role on the new series. And there are rumours that other cast members of the old series could be making appearances in the future. I wonder if Anne Lockhart has been approached to perform a role in the new series.

No, she hasn't been asked. She also said she has no opinion on the new series, since she never watched it. It's not broadcasted where she lives and only saw small parts of it while she was travelling.

Plus she said she wouldn't say no when asked! Read part of our interview with her about the new series (you can find the full Screenheroes Interview in the "media" section of the website):

Quote:
MD: Have you seen the new Battlestar Galactica series?

AL: I have, although I...

MD: You can honestly tell what you think of it.

ME: We want your honest opinion.

AL: I don't get it where I live, ok? I live by a lake, kind of in a rural sort of area back up against a mountain, and I don't get it. I'm just getting satellite, so I never got it at home. In the course of my travels - one of them was in Columbus actually. I have been in hotel rooms where it's going to be on, and I'll go "Oh good, I can watch it", after I've been working somewhere. And in Columbus, which is the exact same thing that happened the other time I tried to watch it, I got in bed, propped up my pillow, turned it on, and lasted about ten minutes. I went right to sleep. (laughing) Not because of the content of the show, [but] because I was completely exhausted. I was trying desperately to watch it. I've seen pieces of it, and from what I've seen it looks really good, and I know people either love it or hate it. I can't really give you a good opinion on how I feel about the fact that Starbuck is a woman, and that Boomer is this lovely lady. I know I'm a big fan of Eddie Olmos. I think he's a terrific, terrific actor. And Mary [McDonnell], I know Mary actually. I worked with her years ago on a sitcom that no one remembers called ER (Season Cool. Mary's a wonderful actress. So it's got terrific performers in it. I know it's a much darker vision than our show was, but look at the times. I mean our show, we couldn't have done something that dark in 1978. I mean look what was on TV in 1978 and 1979. You switched a channel and it was, you know, Daisy Duke in hot pants. (laughing) It was a completely different time and mind set of the audience and the times.

MD: I'm asking you this because they're bringing back the Pegasus. It is now Season Two.

AL: Yeah?

MD: The next episode (Ep. 2.10 "Pegasus") will be about the Pegasus.

AL: How do you know this?

MD: (laughing) It's on tonight. They're bringing back the Pegasus, and I wondered. You have a daughter who's into acting. What would you say if she was asked for the role of Sheba? What would you advise her?

AL: I would advise her (stops to think) to show up on time and know her lines and do a good job.

MD: OK.

AL: It won't happen. She's a brilliant actress, gifted actress, gifted onstage, and last week she started [at a] university and she's premed with a major in sociology.

MD: Another mixup, for the new series, is tonight Cain is going to be a woman...

AL: (laughing!!!) Are you kidding me?!?

MD: So who knows, Sheba may be a man.

ME: And many, many people have said [when finding out that Michelle Forbes] who played Ensign Ro in Star Trek, The Next Generation [was going to play the part of Cain, that] many people have said that they would much rather that it had been you. What would you have said if they had come to you and said we want you to play this part?

AL: What time do I show up? Tom DeSanto, I imagine you know about the Tom DeSanto version. His version would have had a Pegasus. We had some phone conversations - this was four years ago in the summer - and he said you're not in the pilot, but you're coming. What I want to do is... they think you're dead. They think you've gone off and blown up, and they haven't heard from you in years. They think you're long gone, and suddenly out of the black of space one day comes the Pegasus, and you are the Commander of it. And I went "Really?!? Really?!? You mean I've gotten a promotion past Lieutenant and the boys will have to salute me?!? Me?!? I outrank Apollo and Starbuck! Yes!!!" (laughing)

As far as we know (and we've talked to most main cast not too long ago) no other cast members has been asked to appear in the new series. Dirk Benedict has the strongest opinion against the new series since his character is now female (but apparantly said he will star in it anyhow if they pay him enough!). Terry Carter doesn't like the new series and said he doesn't want to star in it, even when he's asked. Herb Jefferson, same deal. Noah Hathaway was looking for new series to star in since he picked up acting again and wouldn't mind to star in it (and even discussed this with Richard Hatch and Aaron Douglas). He hasn't been asked so far... Laurette Spang: no idea... So that's more or less the main cast's opinion on it.

Last edited by MAD on Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senmut wrote:
IIRC, she told them to go take a long walk on a short landing bay.

Don't misinform the new members here... We all know your opinion on the new series, but we're not all sharing this. Wink
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm both senile and a curmudgeon.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senmut wrote:
So, I'm both senile and a curmudgeon.

I'm not a native speaker, remember? A "curmudgeon" I really had to look up, to see what you were calling yourself this time. Smile

Quote:
What is a Curmudgeon anyway?

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy. They ease the pain by turning hurt into humor. They attack maudlinism because it devalues genuine sentiment. Nature, having failed to equip them with a servicable denial mechanism, has endowed them with astute perception and sly wit.

Curmudgeons are mockers and debunkers whose bitterness is a symptom rather than a disease. They can't compromise their standards and can't manage the suspension of disbelief necessary for feigned cheerfulness. Their awareness is a curse.

Perhaps curmudgeons have gotten a bad rap in the same way that the messenger is blamed for the message: They have the temerity to comment on the human condition without apology. They not only refuse to applaud mediocrity, they howl it down with morose glee. Their versions of the truth unsettle us, and we hold it against them, even though they soften it with humor.

That read... Well, if you think so... Twisted Evil
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help further the education of our European friends...

Twisted Evil

Dawg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: The New Battlestar Galactica... Reply with quote

MAD wrote:
As far as we know (and we've talked to most main cast not too long ago) no other cast members has been asked to appear in the new series. Dirk Benedict has the strongest opinion against the new series since his character is now female (but apparantly said he will star in it anyhow if they pay him enough!). Terry Carter doesn't like the new series and said he doesn't want to star in it, even when he's asked. Herb Jefferson, same deal. Noah Hathaway was looking for new series to star in since he picked up acting again and wouldn't mind to star in it (and even discussed this with Richard Hatch and Aaron Douglas). He hasn't been asked so far... Laurette Spang: no idea... So that's more or less the main cast's opinion on it.

MAD, in response and clarification of the bolded areas:

It's not so much "Starbuck" is a female (although you really can't tell most of the time), as much as it's the characterization that's become so PC in Hollywood today - you can't have a cigar-smoking, womanizing man as a major character, but if you want to have similar characteristics portrayed by a woman it's considered cutting-edge and appropriate. You simply cannot have a Starbuck as portrayed by Dirk Benedict in a current production; the PC Police would have your - well, that role is now played by a female actress (allegedly), right?

If you haven't read his "Lost in Castration" article from Dreamwatch magazine a year ago (and the follow-up earlier this year), find it and do so - it's a cutting commentary on the Hollywood mindset and says a lot of what's wrong in the entertainment industry as it exists today. He uses the current production as an example of his thoughts.

And Laurette was never asked. She's not a big fan of the current production, either.

I am
Dawg
Cool

I'm at: Dawg's House
LauretteSpang.com
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg, all true. I did read "Lost in Castration" and I confronted Dirk during an interview why, if his opinion was so strong on it, he agreed doing the documentary with actress Katee Sackhoff at "Starbuck" (made before the series aired to promote it). During this interview he hands tips on the Starbuck character and gives her one of his cigars as a token. His article was written shortly after and nobody of the new cast (especially Katee) unstood where this came from all of a sudden. So I asked him why and Dirk said: I didn't have to like it, they simply paid me enough to do it. I asked him if he even would join the new series when paid enough. He said: Sure, if the part is interesting and the money is good...

I have this Q&A session where he said this on tape. I was surprised by his reply, I had expected a well funded form of discussion. I'm sorry if this shatters all dreams, but I read Dirk's articles completely different nowadays after hearing that. Wink

I think Dirk does this to stir up things and get some attention. I don't know if you've seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZKA3S_lTco

I think it's funny as well as sad at the same time... It doesn't show a lot of respect for the show nor the actors I loved so much, that's for sure.

I also asked the other TOS cast if they had seen it or were asked to (guest) star in it. The replies are in the post above. I can tell you Terry's opinion against the new series is a lot stronger than Dirk's will ever be and I respect that.

And as far as my opinion on TOS cast starring in TNS. I like the new series, but would hate it if they were brought back as a gimmick (this is also why I don't particularly like the interview at "Starbuck" between Katee and Dirk... it's merely a gimmick and doing it at "Starbuck" points that out even more). I didn't like the confrontation of the two Apollo's (Richard Hatch and Jamie Bamber) either at the beginning of the series. I saw it as a bad joke. I now think Richard is treated with much more respect as an actor and his part as a semi-bad guy is better than his shallow part as Apollo ever was. But I don't think you shouldn't compare the two like that, since it are different parts in two completely different series. As long as TOS cast is asked for their acting capabilities for TNS, it's fine by me. I'd be happy to see any of TOS cast back on TV again in whatever series...
mikedx
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at that interview in Holland with the cast Q&A. Somehow they got around to asking Dirk about why he did that spot with Katee at Starbuck's and was so nice during it. He said they paid him big bucks. That he could be charming when they paid him big bucks. I thought it was funny. But I have to agree, it shocked me when he said he would do the new show if the money was good and the part was good. But then he joked later that he'd do a woman if the money was good and the part was good.

And Dawg, if this article is to be believed, she asked David Eick to be on the show:

http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=1482

Quote:
Laurette Spang who played Cassiopeia on the original series emailed me, and I thought it might be fun to try to find something for her.

Though it's possible she asked before she watched the show.
Dawg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk's made the comment about 'if they paid me enough money' several times - but he's also said that he'd be surprised if they came to him at all. His words say to me that he's not interested in a part if it's just 'stunt casting', he doesn't particularly like what they've done in this production, and they can take a long walk off a short pier as far as he's concerned - or not. He's an actor and, if compensated adequately for the circumstances, he's willing to ply his craft.

Similar to Richard Hatch's situation - they offered him an interesting role, and he took it.

That YouTube clip is hilarious. I hear it was a clip from a failed pilot. It's a sendup - tongue-in-cheek, spoof, whatever you want to call it. Comedy. Farce. But, like Shatner's SNL skit, you can read too much into it if you want to.

I am
Dawg
Cool

I'm at: Dawg's House
LauretteSpang.com
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAD wrote:
... I now think Richard is treated with much more respect as an actor and his part as a semi-bad guy is better than his shallow part as Apollo ever was.

And how exactly do you describe Apollo as "shallow"? Personally I see him as quite the opposite. Point by point, how?

MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean shallow in a bad way. In a way he needed to be kind of shallow opposite Starbuck to make an interesting team. Apollo is the ultimate good guy. He never gets himself into trouble and he'll never do anything you don't expect him to do. In that sense I think he's kind of boring and why I think Richard Hatch, as an actor, probably enjoys playing Tom Zarek more. Tom Zarek is always on the edge of a good guy, doing bad or a bad guy trying to do good. Of course this is a different time and characters now are far more fleshed out and more complex than they were in the 1970s (in general, not specifically pointing to the new series here, since it could just as well be any current series or current role of Richard). Starbuck was one of the few roles in the original series which offered opportunity to work on different sides to a person (well, maybe also Cassie, since her past as a socialator was again mentioned in LL).
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo? Never in trouble? Getting stuck in a collapsed tomb on Kobol, downed on Equellus, or stuck on a shuttle with an armed killer isn't trouble???

MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senmut wrote:
Apollo? Never in trouble? Getting stuck in a collapsed tomb on Kobol, downed on Equellus, or stuck on a shuttle with an armed killer isn't trouble???

All not in a way as Starbuck would get himself in trouble. The only time he really got himself in trouble was when he picked a fight with Red Eye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: