ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sheba killed in Year Two!?!?!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Sheba killed in Year Two!?!?! Reply with quote

Anybody read Larson's Year Two script (ideas for the show in Year Two written at the end of First Season long before he started on Galactica 1980)? Sheba (and probably even Athena) is killed off in the first -2 hour special- episode, leaving Apollo bittered in mourning (losing yet another woman he loves, so soon after losing his wife)... Read here:

Thank the Lords of Kobol it was never filmed!
mikedx
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as you remember what she said in her interview:

Quote:
I would have fought it. I would have gone "You can't kill me! Please don't kill me!"
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but it's kind of tough when they made up their minds and wrote a whole storyline on it, to say you don't agree. I have no idea if she even would be given the choice...

But reading up on this page, seeing Athena badly burned does sound like a cruel way to kill the great looks of Maren or write her out of the story.
epaddon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea was that the burning of Athena was to explain the convenience of casting another actress in the part once you have Athena recovering. Maren Jensen had already been let go from the series even before it had been cancelled.

The discovery of that memo about three years ago was a very traumatic moment in that it made a lot of us for the first time feel glad that there *wasn't* a second season if this was the direction Larson was going to go in. We've been able to stimulate so much creativity that builds off Hand Of God in so many ways in fanfic and other mediums, that I think if we'd had to explain a "real" second season (as opposed to G80), it would have sullied Galactica's long-term reputation with its fanbase in the same way that Season 2 of "Space 1999" with its cheaper budget and radical shift in tone is not as appreciated.

Considering how Anne always managed to find a place on other GL shows in the years following like Buck Rogers, BJ And The Bear and Knight Rider, it leaves me baffled that Larson would have decided to kill her off and go with someone else as Athena, when frankly the logical move to make if one female character had to die was to just kill Athena off.
Dawg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever participated in a brainstorming session? There's no such thing as a bad idea in a brainstorming session. It's later, when they're analyzing, that the bad ideas get thrown out.

It's my understanding - well, make that belief - that this document (and this is the first time I've actually seen any of it) was nothing more than a proposal, a draft of ideas for the second season.

There's no telling what - if anything - from that document would have actually made it to film. The "analysis" hadn't been done. Not all the 'authorities' had been consulted.

I'm glad none of this made it into BSG canon, too - I like the characters the way they were being developed. But to point at this and say "Gee, I'm glad there was no second season" is, I think, giving this a bit too much weight.

We have no way of knowing if anything out of that document would have seen the light of day.

I am
Dawg
Cool

I'm at: Dawg's House
LauretteSpang.com
epaddon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, and I hope you're right about that. But *if* this was how they were going to go, then I'm glad that Galactica was spared the equivalent of "Space 1999's" year two.
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I even liked Galactica 1980 since it WAS Galactica (better some Galactica than no Galactica!). At the time it was broadcasted I was thrilled that they picked up the show again and I loved the time travel thing and the new badguy Xaviar. 28 years later I see it differently since I look at it as an adult now, but at the time...

I guess it would have been the same with Season Two. I would have been shocked by the killing of Sheba and Athena, but the return of the Pegasus would have definitely had my two thumbs up! Who knows what great episodes we would have had with Commander Cain again. Besides, the text says her viper was in flames. They'd probably leave it open and won't show her viper was completely destroyed, so they could always pick it up when fans reacted too shocked by the death of Sheba. She could have crash landed and survived on a planet not unlike Starbuck did on "The Return of Starbuck". Would have made a great solo Sheba episode: "The Return of Sheba"!!! Smile

Since this is Glen Larson's Year Two script I do think this is definitely the way the series would have gone. I agree with Dawg that this is brainstorming and the network suits would defintely have their say in it (especially for a show this expensive), but Glen was given a lot of freedom to explore at the time...

I don't know why fanfiction writers should be ignoring this and continue on the filmed episodes. I know there are many stories about the return of the Pegasus. Why not use what's in the Year Two script as a fresh start to work on some new ideas. What did happened to Sheba exactly, what happened to Athena, what does it mean when Apollo doesn't want to be in charge of a squadron anymore (also in his relationship to his father)... The last can only mean Starbuck becomes squadron leader and that's offering a lot of development on his character (how does he deal with it, what will his relationship with the "new" Apollo be like). And how will Cain react towards Apollo? Does he embrace him as a son-in-law and do they share their loss of Sheba or is he angry at him as the squadron leader that got his daughter killed.
epaddon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason we ignore this memo in fanfic is (1) we didn't learn of its existence until very recently, and long after we basically committed ourselves to our own visions of what happened (2) Cain was not "returning" in the sense you mean. He was going to discovered to have been turned into a replicant type thing, and then killed off for good (3) this memo was also aimed at budget cutting by slaughtering half the supporting cast. We wouldn't have seen Jolly, Dr. Salik, Dr. Wilker or other characters as well.

I just don't see anything positive in the ideas suggested in the memo to build from, and I think most people who prefer to use fanfic as a way of *expanding* the Galactica universe (in contrast to what Larson was doing, which was aimed at contracting things to appease the network budget constraints) tend to think the same way. Of course if there are other would-be writers out there who would want to actually write the stories hinted at in the memo, they should always feel free to do so, since a fanfic universe is always ultimately a personal individual vision.
LZaza

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I, of course, heard of the 'death of Sheba' through another part of this site, but I wasn't aware of the other plot lines. Very odd that Starbuck has that feeling Sheba shouldn't go. Obviously, Apollo agrees so it can be even more tragic for him.

The Apollo aspect seems almost out of character. Especially if it supposedly followed up Hand of God, so they barely had time to start a romantic relationship. It seems unlikely that he would do such a complete turn around in personality after a short liaison. I could actually see him going the other way, as he did post Destruction. Ultra serious and intent. All work, no play.

I love some of your musing regarding other directions it could have taken, Marcel. Re Cain and Apollo. Starbuck finally getting promoted.

And I suppose one of the many reasons that nobody's killed off Sheba or Athena is that it's almost taboo to kill off the original characters in fan fic, at least over on the archive.

Oh, any word on the Daggit's mortality? Twisted Evil
MAD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LZaza wrote:
Oh, any word on the Daggit's mortality? Twisted Evil

I loved the Daggit. As a kid I used to dress up the dog with flexible tubes and a small pan on his head so I could pretend I was Boxey and my dog was Muffit. Good memories. All the guys on our block were always fighting because they all wanted to be Starbuck, nobody wanted to be Boxey. Very Happy
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Muffit!!!!!

As to the proposed Y2 for BSG, I wonder if this was a bone GL threw at the NitWerk, to give himself time to get it right. it seems so unlike his usual stuff to me.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no question Larson was facing pressure from ABC to cut the budget. And unfortunately given how it was ABC that was responsible for the ultimate exercise in cheapness in G80, that's why I'm unfortunately forced to take the view that the memo more accurately reflects what might have happened.

G80 is a lot easier to disregard ultimately than what the rough equivalent of a Space 1999 Year Two would have been. Space 1999 fans by and large I think have to acknowledge both years rather than just disregard year two (and I think there are even fans of Maya who wish they still could disregard Year Two).
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite true, about Maya. She's my fav from Y2. As to BSG, it makes sense that the borays at ABC would want to cut the budget. They have no creativity at all. They can only see in terms of cubits and quantums.
I still have to think GL had something else up his sleeve.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The danger though Sen, is I wouldn't sell Glen Larson's creative planning too high. Keep in mind that at the very same time that Glen was not fighting hard enough to keep Galactica, he also was lauching Buck Rogers on NBC and also had ongoing roles in shows like Quincy. I do not believe Larson would have had either the time, or much of the creative instinct to come up with a Season 2 template that we could have looked back on and applauded in all honesty.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps he was so disgusted with the NitWerk trying to kill his show via the purse strings, that he turned in a draft that he knew would do it. Hades Hole, I would rather have it go out with HOG, than some chopped-down thingy that would have resulted from the nickel-and-dime routine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Main Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: